10 Facts You Didn’t Know About New York City Prostitutes
1. The highest density of sex workers in Manhattan is in Murray Hill, and Midtown, above 48th Street, below 59th Street, and west of 5th Avenue. While not quite as dense, the downtown neighborhoods of Greenwich Village, SoHo, the Lower East Side, Tribeca, and Chinatown are burgeoning red-light districts in their own rights.
2. An escort not represented by an agency typically earns about 50% more than a streetwalker, and typically gets beaten half as often (two instances, on average, versus four per year).
3. One hooker claims that getting a good boob job will make a girl about 50% more money.
4. The girls will almost always carry with them an extra set of panties, because men will pay for souvenirs. They'll almost never carry large bills or small bills — you're not getting change no matter what.
5. 70% of those sex workers surveyed use a BlackBerry, while just 19% use an iPhone.
6. 83% of sex workers have a Facebook page, and they get 25% of regular clients from Facebook. These day, just 3% of clients come from Craigslist.
7. A self-employed escort can earn $150 for sex and can keep it all, while an escort who uses a “blue-collar agency” gets 60% of a typical $350 charge.
8. A menage a trois will run you $750 in Tribeca/Wall Street, $500 in Chinatown/SoHo, $300 north of 14th Street, and $200 in the Bronx. By the way, that's for each girl.
9. Some 86% of sex workers had their high school diplomas (63% moved to New York after high school), while 19% have college degrees. Nearly half work day jobs in the food service or retail industries.
10. Many escort agencies will give johns an “entertainment” receipt for their sex — which they can then write off on their business travel expenses.