An Important Potential Deal in the Middle East, Plus What Happens When Your Long-Lost Father is Char
Editor’s Note: We’ve decided to start up a new daily column in which we tell you about a handful of legit news stories breaking around the world each day. Just because, you know, sounding smart is definitely Bro.
- Israel and Hamas are discussing a prisoner swap involving Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, who was seized in a 2006 cross-border raid and has been the focal point of ever-growing strife between the Israelis and Palestinians. Israel may release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners, including many convicted of organizing suicide bombings and other acts of terror, as well as Marwan Barghouti, one of the most popular leaders in the West Bank. This would be a very big deal if it happened. [NYTimes]
- A 41-year-old Los Angeles DJ went looking for his biological father and discovered that it was none other than deranged, Nazi-loving serial killer Charles Manson. Not only that, he was conceived when Manson raped the DJ’s mother. [News.com.au]
- Chinese drywall used in thousands of U.S. homes between 2005-2007 during a massive housing boom and back-to-back major hurricane seasons does have some toxic effects, according to reports issued by the federal government. In some 2,100 reports from 32 states — but mostly from Florida, Louisiana, and Virginia — homeowners complained of a rotten-egg smell, sickness, failed appliances, and corroded wires and pipes. [CNN]
- The Large Hadron Collider, the worlds biggest and most expensive science experiment, produced its first collisions Monday — and the world didn’t blow up as feared by some. [NYTimes]
- A man in Brussels was in a perceived vegetative state for 23 years, but three years ago doctors discovered that he was actually completely conscious the whole time but suffered from “locked-in syndrome.” [Huffington Post] “