Bro or Not Bro: John Mayer
The spiciest thing in Playboy’s March Issue isn’t a pair of airbrushed tits or a half-nekked coed from the Midwest: It’s John Mayer’s raw, unfettered interview where he dishes that sex with Jessica Simpson is like “crack cocaine” and “sexual napalm.” That’s juicy and all, but — as you probably know — it isn’t what made headlines. Mayer foolishly dropped the n-word in the interview, pissing a lot of people off and sparking a firestorm of controversy over his derogatory vocabulary choices. The magazine also asked if black women throw themselves at the crooning bluesman. His response may have further fanned the flames: “I don’t think I open myself to it. My dick is sort of like a white supremacist. I’ve got a Benetton heart and a f*ckin’ David Duke cock.” As overblown as it may be, there’s no denying that Mayer was an idiot for using an incendiary racial slur during an on-the-record interview. Yesterday afternoon an apologtic Mayer broadcast his apologies for the tactless faux pas on Twitter, saying “they don’t make rehab centers for being an a-hole.” Apparently Mayer broke down on stage last night during a performance in Nashville and claimed that “I just want to play my guitar.”
Is John Mayer is a bro rock star or simply obnoxious as hell? After the jump is a list of talking points on both sides of the argument. He claims to be a bluesman at heart, but he sure as hell doesn’t look or act like Robert Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or B.B. King. He has scored some of the hottest slam-pieces in Hollywood, but his media gaffes, stupid comments, and duchey public persona make plenty of people cringe. What do you think? Sound Off in the comments.
- Mayer’s no Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, or B.B. King, but he’s undoubtedly a damn fine guitar player and a decent singer/songwriter.
- He has tagged A-list Hollywood tail, including Jennifer Anniston, Minka Kelly, and Jessica Simpson.
- He writes mellow, panty-dampening pop tunes that women swoon over, including “Daughter,” “Neon,” and “Your Body Is a Wonderland.”
- He supports a number of philanthropic efforts.
- He parties like a rockstar.
- He played at Virginia Tech with the Dave Matthews Band, Phil Vassar, and NaS in the wake of the 2007 campus shooting tragedy.
- He occasionally writes for Esquire.
- Made a classic appearance on the Chappelle show.
- He admits to making out with Perez Hilton.
- You wouldn’t be caught dead listening to his music alone or on any occasion that doesn’t involve a female.
- He frequently fails at being funny, including his brief stint as a stand up comedian.
- He publicly makes racist statements.
- He compares his pen*s to a white supremacist.
- He dresses like this on a cruise with his fans.
Sound off in the comments “