Top Gun 2 isn’t out until July 12, 2019, but that doesn’t mean we can’t start wondering about the characters and the plot involved for the highly anticipated sequel. We recently learned that the director of Top Gun: Maverick will be Joseph Kosinski, who directed Tron: Legacy and Oblivion, which starred Tom Cruise. Now we’re getting details on the character and hints at the plot for Top Gun: Maverick.
Cruise is rumored to play an instructor at Fightertown USA in Miramar and he attempts to bridle a hotshot pilot (Sound familiar?). The cocky pilot is expected to be Wrigley “Riot” Bradshaw, who just so happens to be Nick “Goose” Bradshaw’s son. ThatHashtagShow has details on the character.
RIOT FKA WRIGLEY: Supporting Male (20-29) Goose’s son. All-American good looks. Rode a football scholarship to an Ivy League degree. He is in love with Sugar. He distrusts Maverick and dislikes what he stands for, although they have a lot of similarities. Eventually, comes to respect Maverick and uses his techniques. He is forced to eject in enemy territory and Maverick comes to save him.
That’s all great and all, but the important questions are unanswered – does he sing Righteous Brothers and play shirtless beach volleyball?
Other notable characters include:
- PENNY BENJAMIN Supporting Female (40-55) The mother of “Miriam” and sister of “Caspar.” She is tough and has been around pilots all her life. She resists Maverick at first, but his charm wears her down. Maverick falls in love with her and “Miriam.”
- SUGAR Supporting Female (20-29) Latina. Cool and perfect. She has a sense of a loner and is out to prove herself to everyone. Naturally gifted leader. She and “Wrigley” fall for one another.
- RYAN KENDRICK “KANSAS” Supporting Male (20-29) Southern-Charm. A laidback southerner who’s always smiling, which is part of his competitive charm.
- TIM FLETCHER “OTTER” Supporting Male (20-29) Nerdy, but super competitive. A member of the class and eventually gives up his spot so Maverick can join the final mission.
- CINDA CLARENCE “DRONE” Supporting Female (20-29) Sharp and tough
- BOYD Supporting Male (50) A two-star general who takes no shit. Tough and weathered.
I don’t see Iceman. Where the fuck is Iceman? Two years ago, Val Kilmer said he “got offered #topgun2 – not often you get to say “yes” without reading the script.” See all of the new Top Gun characters here. Top Gun: Maverick is planned to start production in 2018.