Every year Forbes puts out its list of the highest earning dead celebrities to make us all feel really bad that even dead these people are making millions of dollars while we eat ramen for lunch and pray that our Christmas bonus comes through again.
Thanks a lot, Forbes.
So who should we hate this year, despite it really being bad form to, you know, cast aspersions at the deceased?
Oh, of course it’s Michael Jackson, figures…
In the time since Michael Jackson’s sudden death in 2009, the financial story that has played out has been nothing short of a thriller. The King of Pop has earned more than $1 billion before taxes since then, enough to pay off his personal debts and then some.
That’s right, Jacko, who took the top spot this year, has raked in $115 million in just the past 12 months and he died six damn years ago.
But wait, it gets worse. Elvis Presley died in 1977(!) and guess what? He still managed to pull in $55 million over the past year.
Here’s the rest of the top 13…
3. Charles Schulz, died in 2000: $40 million
4. Bob Marley, died in 1981 – $21 million
5. Elizabeth Taylor, died in 2011 – $20 million
6. Marilyn Monroe, died in 1962 – $17 million
7. John Lennon, died in 1980 – $12 million
8. Albert Einstein, died in 1955 – $11 million
9. Paul Walker, died in 2013 – $10.5 million
10. Bettie Page, died in 2008 – $10 million
11. Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), died in 1991 – $9.5 million
12. Steve McQueen, died in 1980 – $9 million
13. James Dean, died in 1955 – $8.5 million
Forbes even put together this nice video just to stick it to us even more. Enjoy!