David Letterman turned 69 years old on April 12th, a day that 21 years ago saw Drew Barrymore flash the gap-toothed host. The last ever episode of Letterman’s long-running late night talk show aired in May 2015. Over the course of thirty years, Letterman’s been flashing his big grin on screen, he’s been giving us countless reasons to laugh. While some are perhaps a little put off by the scary Santa look, we dig it.
The most consistent and recognizable staple of Letterman’s two shows – Late Night on NBC and Late Show on CBS – was the “Top 10” list. To celebrate the Indiana man’s annual birthiversary, we counted down the top ten Top 10 lists. While our tribute wasn’t as emotional as Jimmy Fallon’s, let’s face it, who can out-emo that guy? Maybe with this – the most emotional moment in Letterman’s broadcast history. Still nothing, huh? Okay, here’s Patton Oswalt’s farewell note.
The first ever Top 10 came in September 1985 when Letterman listed the top words that rhyme with peas. Be honest, would you have guessed that absurd segment would become one of the world’s most watched recurring bits in the history of television and possibly all of comedy? I mean, the lists were also featured across radio stations nationwide and also four volumes of books were published as hard-covers and paperbacks. Google what those are.
You might’ve watched the video and thought, Wow, they definitely missed some top top 10s. Well, way to hate, hater. But, still, true. Here are some honorable mentions:
- Casey Kasem’s Top 10 Numbers
- Top 10 Things Peter Griffin Wants To Tell America
- Stewie Griffin Reveals Top 10 Things You Don’t Want To Hear From Your Child
- Top Ten Ways Osama bin Laden Can Improve His Image (all entries were “There’s no way he can improve his image. He’s a murdering, soul-less asshole.”)
- Ten Things I’ve Always Wanted to Say to Dave – Letterman’s final show included entries from Alec Baldwin, Barbara Walters, Steve Martin, Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, Chris Rock, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Peyton Manning, Tina Fey and Bill Murray
We’re sure Dave will be celebrating in his own way.