Just eat your breakfast? Perfect! You really need to see this dude’s grisly injury that caused it to burst open after a spider bite. But it wasn’t just any creepy-crawly spider, it was a deadly brown recluse spider. Strap in kids, this isn’t pretty.
Jonathan Hogg, a lawyer from London, was traveling from Qatar to South Africa on a Qatar Airways flight over the summer. Hogg says that all of the sudden he felt “a small, sharp pain radiating in my left leg.”
“I turned on the light and clearly saw a spider running across the floor before hearing two stewardesses screaming ‘Spider’, but I wasn’t sure if I had been bitten as it really wasn’t painful,” Hogg told reporters.
MOTHERFUCKING KILLER SPIDERS ON THIS MOTHERFUCKING PLANE!
The venom began eating away at his flesh within hours, but he was on a long flight and was helpless. By the time he got to a hospital, his leg “ballooned,” “turned black,” “oozing pus,” and was “bursting” open.” All of those things are actions that you never want to happen to your leg. “The pain was like nothing I’ve been through in my life,” Hogg said.
The doctors told him that he was lucky to make it to hospital when he did because he could have lost the leg, or worse, he could have died. To be cured, Hogg needed three operations and a skin graft. At the time, he was on a five-month vacation, but ended up staying at the hospital for a month and spent the next three months recovering.
Hogg is now suing the airline for the incident which took place in June. A spokesperson for the Qatar Airways released a statement on the unfortunate situation:
“The only known interaction between the airline and Mr. Hogg regarding this incident, which he claims happened on a Qatar Airways aircraft in June, was via our website a week after his travel was complete. No report was filled with any staff on board regarding this incident.”
And if you don’t believe that a brown recluse spider bite can cause the human body to “burst open” I welcome you to take a gander at this super graphic and disgusting photo of Hogg’s mangled leg here.
You can also watch this vomit-inducing video if you are into that sort of stomach-churning imagery.
Now that water has been discovered on Mars, I’m punching my one-way ticket there because they don’t have any killer spiders.