- Emory Jones played absolutely horrible in Florida’s Gasparilla Bowl game.
- Since then, he has not entered the transfer portal as expected. Could the two be correlated?
- Click HERE for more college football coverage!
Florida quarterback Emory Jones was expected to enter the transfer portal after the conclusion of the 2021 season. All signs pointed toward him leaving the Gators and playing elsewhere in 2022.
However, per a recent report, that does not appear to be the case.
Jones, a junior, split time with true freshman Anthony Richardson during the fall. He did not play particularly well throughout the year, but also did not look terrible and almost led the Gators to an upset of the Crimson Tide.
Regardless of his performance, Jones was fully considered to be entering the transfer portal. Despite the seemingly inevitable decision, he chose to play for Florida in the Gasparilla Bowl against UCF and started in the game.
In some ways, it was an audition. He had a chance to show his stuff for any potential suitors.
Among the teams that were reportedly interested in Jones, was UCF. So he was playing a game against a team that he might have played for in 2022.
But he stunk it up. Jones went 14-of-36 for 171 yards without a touchdown and lost by 12.
He looked terrible.
— Mark Moses (@MarkMosesShow) December 24, 2021
Since then, Jones has not entered the transfer portal. In fact, per a report, he has enrolled in classes for the spring at Florida and remains with the team.
An update on Florida QB Emory Jones:
Had been expected to enter the transfer portal but hasn’t officially done so at this point and, per sources, is still with the team at Florida. Is enrolled in classes and took part in a team meeting yesterday.https://t.co/dVpPTB07U9
— Matt Zenitz (@mzenitz) January 5, 2022
This could mean a few things:
- New Florida head coach Billy Napier convinced Jones to stay in Gainesville.
- Jones is waiting to transfer and has yet to formally do so.
- Jones was so bad in the bowl game that UCF doesn’t want him (the Knights are reportedly pursuing former Ole Miss quarterback John Rhys Plumlee), and nobody else does either.
It is all speculation, but it certainly seems like the third option is very much on the table. Jones’ Gasparilla Bowl game performance was so terrible that nobody wants him. Yikes.