- NFL teams paid over $400 million to injured players during the 2021-21 season.
- Here’s a breakdown of what each team in the NFL spent on injured players a season ago.
- Be sure to check out more sports stories at BroBible here.
Every NFL team has to deal with injuries week in and week out, but some teams are far luckier than others when it comes to player health throughout the season.
Injuries are very simply just a part of football, and even though teams fully understand that it doesn’t make it easier on them, especially given the fact that players are still due their salaries in the NFL.
According to Bookmakers, NFL teams spent a total of $434 million in base salary payments for injured players, averaging $13.56 million per team.
That $434 million number and breakdown of each team’s spending was done by taking players’ base annual salaries, divided by the number of games in a season, and multiplied by the number of games they missed.
The New York Jets led the league in total games missed through injury and total cost of injured players during the 2021-22 season.
Total Injury Costs During The 2021-2022 Season
- New York Jets $28.7 million
- Washington Commanders $20.5 million
- Cleveland Browns $20.2 million
- Detroit Lions $20.1 million
- Tennessee Titans $19.4 million
- New York Giants $19.1 million
- Denver Broncos $18.3 million
- Chicago Bears $18.3 million
- Dallas Cowboys $18.1 million
- Baltimore Ravens $16.8 million
- New England Patriots $15.3 million
- San Francisco 49ers $15 million
- Arizona Cardinals $13.9 million
- Los Angeles Chargers $13.9 million
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers $13.8 million
- Jacksonville Jaguars $13.1 million
- Houston Texans $12.7 million
- Las Vegas Raiders $12.7 million
- Minnesota Vikings $11.8 million
- Seattle Seahawks $11.5 million
- Miami Dolphins $11.3 million
- Indianapolis Colts $11 million
- New Orleans Saints $10.2 million
- Pittsburgh Steelers $9.1 million
- Green Bay Packers $9 million
- Cincinnati Bengals $9 million
- Kansas City Chiefs $8.5 million
- Atlanta Falcons $8.1 million
- Carolina Panthers $7.9 million
- Los Angeles Rams $6.7 million
- Philadelphia Eagles $5 million
- Buffalo Bills $4.9 million
When it comes to the injured player who cost his team more than any other, that honor belongs to Dallas’ DeMarcus Lawrence, who cost the Cowboys $9.44 million.
As far as big takeaways go for the list of all 32 teams, the Titans taking the top seed in the AFC dealing with so many injuries certainly sticks out. So too does the fact that the Rams were very fortunate on the injury front en route to the Super Bowl.