One of the perks of working from home these days is I’ve always got the TV on in the background. I’m never actually watching it but it’s always on, and this allows me to digest A LOT of trending TV shows I wouldn’t normally have the chance to check out.
That’s precisely why I was shocked when I saw the list of the most-watched Netflix Originals shows and realized I hadn’t gotten around to watching half of the list yet.
Netflix rarely releases viewership numbers and when they do it’s never certain how the numbers are calculated. For starters, most people share Netflix accounts across the household with each account having multiple sub-profiles. And how much time spent watching a show counts as an official ‘view’, is it 51% of an episode or is it 5 minutes?
On Wednesday, Netflix released its Q3 Earnings report and along with that they revealed the top 10 most-watched originals (shows and movies) with Stranger Things as the obvious #1. The #2 and #3 shows weren’t so obvious, and scrolling through the list I found myself realizing that I’m now blurring the lines between Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Originals and am losing track of which shows I watch where because there were a few shows I expected to see on the list only to remember they weren’t Netflix shows.
Here’s the Netflix Originals list of the top 10 most-watched shows with the top 10 most-watched movies list below:
1. Stranger Things – 64 million views
2. Umbrella Academy – 45 million views
3. La Casa de Papel aka Money Heist – 44 million views
4. You – 40 million views
5. Sex Education – 40 million views
6. Our Planet – 33 million views
7. Unbelievable – 32 million views
8. Dead to Me – 30 million views
9. When They See Us – 25 million views
10. Elite – 20 million views
I’ve never seen Money Heist, I guess I should get around to that? Umbrella Adacemy was enjoyable but it wasn’t even a fraction as good as The Boys on Amazon, a Superhero show that came out around the same time.
Here’s the list of the top 10 most-watched Netflix Originals movies between October 2018 and September 2019:
1. Bird Box – 80 million views
2. Murder Mystery – 73 million views
3. Triple Frontier – 52 million views
4. The Perfect Date – 48 million views
5. Tall Girl – 41 million views
6. The Highwaymen – 40 million views
7. Secret Obsession – 40 million views
8. Always Be My Maybe – 32 million views
9. Otherhood – 29 million views
10. Fyre – 20 million views
Stranger Things Season 3 was the most-watched season yet and with Season 4 already in production it seems like Netflix will continue to ride their gravy train with biscuit wheels:
You can find these numbers and more in-depth analysis over on the New York Times where they’ve done a deep dive.