Despite your romantic, tear-jerking childhood nightmares about Bambi’s mom, deer meat a.k.a. venison actually tastes pretty darn good! Growing up wearing blaze orange deep in the heart of Pennsyltucky where we had two days of school off just for deer season, there are all kinds of ways to eat it — jerky, sausage, stewed, grilled, roasted, in chili, etc etc. You name it, I’ve had it when it comes to fresh venison.
It’s almost impossible to find venison in a commercial restaurant, however, let alone in a fast food chain. But Arby’s is going there at select locations in six states that are big on deer hunting — Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Georgia. Living up to their tag line, they truly have the meats. via THE USA TODAY:
Arby’s venison sandwich features a thick-cut venison steak and crispy onions with a berry sauce on a toasted roll, according to the company.
The venison sandwich is “100% deer meat,” with premium cut top and bottom round steaks from the hind quarter of the deer, according to Rob Lynch, Arby’s Brand President & Chief Marketing Officer.
Lynch said the company released the sandwich as part of “It’s Meats Season” campaign, which celebrates the start of hunting season.
“Bringing venison to our menu also allows us to continue to set ourselves apart from the competition when it comes to proteins,” he said. “You simply can’t find this at other restaurant chains.”
Hopefully they supply the venison with harvested deer from a wild heard instead of a farm. It’s a pretty cool idea to think of a hunter being able to sell his tagged buck or doe directly to a massive national restaurant chain.
Here are the locations you can grab your Arby’s venison sando, via Uproxx:
Available Oct. 31-Nov. 3
- 2044 Rosa L. Parks Blvd., Nashville, Tenn. 37228
Available Nov. 4-6
- 3821 Tower Ave., Superior, Wis. 54880
- 1690 Park Place Blvd., St. Louis Park, Minn. 55416
- 704 Highway 33 South, Cloquet, Minn. 55720
- 348 Lincoln Ave. SE, St. Cloud, Minn. 56301
- 3275 First St. S, St. Cloud, Minn. 56301
- 4415 Roswell Rd. NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30342
Available Nov. 12-15
- 4229 W Vienna Rd., Clio, Mich. 48420
- 4040 17 Mile Rd. NE, Cedar Springs, Mich. 49319
- 1215 M 89, Plainwell, Mich. 49080
- 8685 Birch Run Rd., Birch Run, Mich. 48415
Available Nov. 25-28
- 5205 Library Road, Bethel Park, PA 15102
- 4260 Ohio River Blvd., Bellevue, Penn. 15202
- 16 Towne Center Drive, Leechburg, Penn. 15656
- 2539 W State St., New Castle, Penn. 16101
- 2648 Ellwood Rd., New Castle, Penn. 16101
- 3224 Wilmington Rd., New Castle, Penn. 16105