One of the saddest stories from the Fourth of July weekend comes from Maine where a man ignited a reloadable fireworks mortar from atop his head. That decision would prove fatal as he was killed instantly in front of his friends and family.
Before you get your rush to conclusions mat out, his brother says it was an accident.
His brother Cody Staples, 25, told the Daily News he was standing five feet away from Devon in a backyard in Calais, Maine. He said his brother was holding a lighter and it accidentally caused the firework to go off.
“I was the first one who got there. There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there,” his brother said. “It was a freak accident … But Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh.”
Jesus. That is the most traumatizing thing ‘ve ever read.
Enjoy your Monday.
[H/T: New York Daily News]