16 Brash And Unforgettable Quotes From General James ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis, Donald Trump’s Choice For Secretary Of Defense
During a victory rally in Cincinnati, Ohio on Thursday, President-elect Donald J. Trump announced that he has chosen General James “Mad Dog” Mattis as his Secretary of Defense.
Mattis is a legendary four-star retired general with an impressive 44-year career serving this great country. Mattis earned his Mad Dog nickname during “one of the hardest-fought campaigns following the Iraq invasion in 2003 — where he was one of four Commanders leading the British/US troops to take the city from Iraqi insurgents after the fall of Saddam Hussein.”
Not only is the 66-year-old Mattis is called Mad Dog, but he is also called The Warrior Monk and Chaos.
In speeches, he’s known to quote Shakespeare and Greek poets along with traditional military thinkers. Here are 16 of Mad Dog’s most memorable quotes.
- “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” — San Diego Union-Tribune
- “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: “If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all.” — San Diego Union-Tribune
- “There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.” — San Diego Union-Tribune
- “The most important 6 inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” — San Diego Union-Tribune
- “I don’t lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word.” — San Diego Union-Tribune.
- “You are part of the world’s most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.” — Letter to 1st Marine Division
- “No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it[‘s] over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.” — Defense News
- “You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” — San Diego Union-Tribune
- “I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” — San Diego Union-Tribune
- “The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot.” – Business Insider
- “Demonstrate to the world there is ‘no better friend, no worse enemy’ than a U.S. Marine.” — Letter to 1st Marine Division
- “Fight with a happy heart and strong spirit.” — Letter to 1st Marine Division
- “When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she’s dating a pussy.” – To his Marines
- “You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them. Actually it’s quite fun to fight them, you know. It’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people. I’ll be right up there with you. I like brawling.” – CNN
- “Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact.” – To his Marines
And possibly the most insightful quote from Gen. Mattis:
“PowerPoint makes us stupid.”
No matter your political affiliation, that stance is hard to argue.
If you’re a fan of Mad Dog Mattis, check out The Patron Saint of Chaos poster.