Unlike The Meh ‘Justice League’ Movie We Got, The Film’s Original Script Sounds Frickin’ Incredible
So, have you ventured out to see the new Justice League movie yet? I have, and let me tell you, it is most definitely a MUST-SEE movie… when it comes out on Bluray or on-demand. Not that it was a BAD movie, per se. It just wasn’t a GREAT movie.
It was about 10 times more interesting, fun, and just overall more well done than the Justice League movie was. That… shouldn’t happen.
And it almost didn’t.
That’s because apparently there was a 2011 draft of the film that was very different from what we got to see this year, and it sounds pretty badass.
Keep in mind, 2011 was right near the tail end of the very good Dark Knight Trilogy, which as the films’ director Christopher Nolan so astutely explained, was a whole different era of making superhero movies. It was also a time before The Avengers and still two years from Man of Steel eventually hitting the big screen.
According to The Wrap, who has seen the 2011 version of the Justice League script…
After a quick introduction on Darkseid’s hellish planet, Apokolips, we’re plunged into a stunning set piece between Batman, Superman, KGBeast, Killer Croc and Lex Luthor that includes a shark tank shattering on the upper floors of Lexcorp Tower in Metropolis. And it just gets more packed with heroes and villains from there.
It already sounds better.
Here are a few other highlights from the script…
• While 2016’s “Batman v Superman” would pit the heroes against each other, the 2011 script imagined them as allies who know each others’ identities and have coffee at Metropolis Diner, where they chat about other DC superheroes like Diana (Wonder Woman), Green Lantern, Green Arrow and Aquaman. They soon travel to Central City to recruit Barry Allen, aka The Flash.
• Amanda Waller and King Faraday run the Department of Metahuman Affairs and seize Killer Croc’s body. We also meet Abel Terrant (Tattooed Man), Copperhead, Barbara Minerva (Cheetah) and Solomon Grundy. Waller and Croc eventually met in 2016’s “Suicide Squad.”
• In deep space, Green Lantern John Stewart and Thanagarian Katar Hol, aka Hawkman, engage in a cool action sequence inside a space-station nightclub as they try to stop Kanjar Ro from helping Dessad weaponize the Kryptonite. The first act ends with Superman kidnapped by Steppenwolf and the Parademons and taken back to Apokolips.
• By the start of the second act, Batman goes to Themyscira to recruit Diana, with whom he has a romantic history.
• Barry Allen, Green Lantern John Stewart and Diana have a meeting with Wayne inside the Batcave, which has several generations of Batmobiles and Batsuits, as well as Mr. Freeze’s Cyro-Gun, the Scarecrow’s Mask, and The Penguin’s Umbrella.
We also have the Lantern Corps getting completely wiped out by Darkseid, a brainwashed Superman that causes Batman to suit up in special armor to fight him. Superman also travels to the future and discovers that Darkseid has obliterated 80 percent of the Earth’s population, Bruce Wayne and Diana have a son named Clark, Lex Luthor is now a good guy, and a group of a dozen fighters including Deathstroke, Captain Boomerang, Huntress and Cheetah, called “Batman’s Berzerkers” are a big part of the resistance. Phew!
Oh yeah, also at one point Flash goes back in time and dies in younger self’s arms.
I want to see this movie right…now.
Check out the rest of the script’s highlights over at The Wrap. There is a LOT more cool stuff I didn’t even mention.