The New 2019 Mercedes-AMG GT S Roadster Is The 522 HP, 191 MPH Drop-Top Of Our Dreams
The AMG 4.0-litre V8 biturbo in the new AMG GT S Roadster delivers an output of 522 hp and maximum torque of 494 ft-lbs. This is available over a wide engine speed range from 1900 to 5000 rpm. A sprint from zero to 62 mph (100 km/h) can be achieved in just 3.8 seconds and will reach top speed of 191 mph (308 km/h).
Interestingly, the two turbochargers of the V8 are not positioned on the outside of the cylinder banks, but inside the cylinder “V.” Advantages of that include a compact engine design, spontaneous response of the turbochargers and low exhaust emissions thanks to optimal airflow to the near-engine catalysts.
“With the AMG GT S Roadster, our AMG GT family has gained another exceptionally sporty member that combines high driving dynamics with an emotional open-air experience,” says Tobias Moers, Chairman of Mercedes-AMG GmbH. “The new model represents the perfect alternative for the performance-oriented AMG GT Roadster customer.”
• AMG SPEEDSHIFT DCT 7G sport transmission
• AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension with adaptive damping adjustment
• Five drive modes: Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus, RACE, and an individually programmable setup
• Electronically controlled locking differential at the rear axle
• 3-layered fabric soft top supported by a magnesium/steel/aluminium structure
• Sport seats upholstered in black ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA microfiber
• Optional AMG Exterior Night package
• Optional AMG Exterior Carbon-Fiber package
• Optional AMG Chrome package
• Optional AMG high-performance ceramic composite braking system
The new Mercedes-AMG GT S Roadster is available to order immediately, while the market launch begins in July 2018. Pricing information is not yet available, but the available GT starts at around $125,000, the GT S coupe starts at $132,000, and the GT C starts slightly under $160,000.