- Blue Run Spirits debuted their Kentucky Straight Golden Rye Whiskey this week after it won a Gold Medal winner at the 2021 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- This is the first Rye Whiskey release from Blue Run Spirits and thousands of bottles sold out online in 4 minutes but some can still be found in stores
- The 95-proof small-batch Rye was pulled from 91 select barrels and it is the 4th release from Blue Run Spirits
- Read more BroBible articles here
Blue Run Spirits released its first-ever Rye Whiskey to the world this week. The Blue Run Kentucky Straight Golden Rye Whiskey sold out online in just four minutes.
Thousands of bottles were snatched up (online) by whiskey insiders who were in the right place at the right time and they’ll be handsomely rewarded with one of the best Rye Whiskey releases of the year.
Blue Run Spirits burst onto the whiskey scene with a 13-Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon that was debuted in October 2020. After that incredibly successful launch, they followed it up with 13.5-Year Single Barrel, a 14-Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon, and now the Golden Rye Whiskey. All of these releases have sold out before most people even knew they existed.
The hype is well-earned. Blue Run’s 14-Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon won Best in Class and a Double Gold at the 2021 SF World Spirits Competition and the Golden Rye Whiskey won a gold medal at the 2021 competition. Many of you know this, but for those that don’t, the San Francisco World Spirits Competition is the most prestigious whiskey competition in the world each year and winning gold there is as good as it gets.
Let’s talk about what’s in the bottle…
Blue Run Spirits Kentucky Straight Golden Rye Whiskey
- Blue Run’s Golden Rye Whiskey was hand-selected from 91 select barrels and it was bottled at 95-proof for the small-batch rune
- The Golden Rye Whiskey was awarded a Gold Medal winner at the 2021 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- This is Blue Run’s fourth whiskey release and their first rye expression. It is named for the distinct color of the Rye
- Golden Rye has a ‘graham cracker aroma’ and an ‘easy-going finish’ with waves of ‘honey, pear-syrup, and touches of ginger’
- Blue Run is filling at Bardstown Bourbon Company in 2021 and the Golden Rye Whiskey will be followed by a High Rye Bourbon in 2021
The @bluerunspirits Golden Rye rundown:
* 92 barrel batch
* Blue Run’s 1st Rye release
* Awarded Gold Medal @ 2021 SF World Spirits Comp
* Bottled @ 95 proof
*Baking spices, rye bread, plums, pears, caramel, honey, rising black pepper, long + 10/10 finish
*Out in Sept pic.twitter.com/ckYdA503T2
— Cass Anderson (@casspa) August 24, 2021
The Blue Run Kentucky Straight Golden Rye Whiskey has an SRP of $99.99. The initial 2,160 bottle release sold out online in 4 minutes but it is available in some stores and on the secondary market.
Modern whiskey legend Jim Rutledge is actively involved with Blue Run Spirits which helped, in part, for the young whiskey company to hit the ground running at full speed by attaching his name to the projects. However, the award-winning Golden Rye Whiskey was pulled from 91 carefully selected barrels that were all selected by the Blue Run Spirits team and not Jim even though he remains an active part of the team.
The bottle on the Golden Rye has some interesting characteristics compared to previous Blue Run releases. Their signature viceroy butterfly emblem appears in a unique oxidized version while a green neck strip with gold accents indicates the bottle number and the date that it was bottled. I was fortunate beyond my wildest dreams to get my hands on Bottle number 0010.
So you want to try the Blue Run Spirits Kentucky Straight Golden Rye Whiskey but it sold out before you read this article and ever heard about it? Well, you’ve got some options.
If you are looking for Golden Run Whiskey in stores, you’ll want to be in one of these states: Kentucky (RNDC); Georgia (Savannah); South Carolina and Tennessee (Advintage); Washington, D.C., Maryland and Delaware (Prestige-Ledroit); Illinois and Colorado (Breakthru); California and Florida (Park Street); and Canada (Evergreen).
(1) You can look for it in the wild. it’s a rare release but all of the great ones are and I’ve got faith in your ability to track it down. (2) You can check Drizly.com by hitting that ‘shop’ button below to search for it online at Drizly in your area if a retailer happens to have it in stock. (3) You can visit the BlueRunSpirits.com website and follow the instructions on this tweet which explain how you can sign up for notifications on future releases.
The BroBible team writes about gear that we think you want. Occasionally, we write about items that are a part of one of our affiliate partnerships and we will get a percentage of the revenue from sales.