Man Claims His iPhone 6 Bent So Much In His Pocket It Actually Caught Fire (Video)

We’ve heard of the iPhone 6 having a bending problem, but catching fire? That’s a new one.

But that’s exactly what the man who shot the video below, Phillip Lecter, claims happened to him on his blog, as he was riding a rickshaw that almost tipped over.

I was half on, half off the rickshaw as I was sitting on the left side of the seat. I immediately checked my wife and son to make sure they were ok. While I was looking at them, I felt a burning sensation on my leg and then saw and smelled smoke from my pants. I surveyed the rickshaw quickly and could not find anything that could have set me on fire. Then it hit me, my phone was in my pocket. Somehow in the process of the tipping of the rickshaw my new APPLE iPhone 6 had bent in my front pocket and caught on fire.

The smoke was thick and I quickly laid down to get the APPLE iPhone 6 out of my pocket. The smell was disturbing. I could feel my leg burning. I pulled the Apple iPhone 6 out of my pocket and threw it to the side. Someone from a crowd of spectators threw a cup of water on my leg to put the fire out on my jeans. I had a leather Apple case on the phone, and the case was facing forward, and that saved my fingers from getting badly burned when I went to remove the phone from my pocket. A bystander was not so lucky; he picked up the phone without the case and burned his fingers.

The damage was not inconsequential either…

My APPLE iPhone 6 burned through my jeans pocket, through my boxers and significantly burned my leg. In the process of removing the phone from my pocket I also burnt my hip. The Doctor’s report described a 11.5 cm x 10.5 cm burn area on my right leg and classified the burn as 2nd degree with first degree burns surrounding the area.

He has since posted an update stating that no one at Apple has contacted him yet about the incident.

As you can see from the video below the phone is still sizzling with smoke before someone pours ice water on it.

H/T Metro