Google Asked 1000 Teens What’s Cool And Not Cool — Great News For Costco And Netflix, Bad News for ESPN And McDonald’s
If you’re over the age of 24 and care about what’s cool or not cool, you’re probably a bit of a tool. Or you’re just an grown up adult in marketing who spends many hours of the day thinking about all the ways you can make yourself cool in order to sell, sell, sell and hit those revenue numbers.
Which brings us to this deck that’s making the news today from the advertising minds at Google. It’s called “It’s Lit” and it includes the results of a survey where the big G asked 1100 teenagers what brands they think are cool and what brands they think are lame, based on general awareness. It’s the living equivalent of this:
Here are the results. Zoom in, sorry that the type face is so small. Blame someone at Google!
I know, the type is obnoxiously small. But a couple takeaways:
- Costco is cooler than ESPN, Red Bull, Chipotle, Abercrombie, and EA Sports, according to this graphic. That’s a big win for #Kirkboys everywhere and fans of chicken bakes.
- VICE and the Wall Street Journal are dead last on that chart. EDGY MEDIA, EH?! Lol.
- Chick-Fil-A is the coolest restaurant on the list.
- Nike is the coolest sneaker.
- Coke > Pepsi
- Target is the coolest store.
- Snapchat is the coolest social media platform.
- BMW is the coolest car.
- Apple > Android, still.
- The top three “coolest” things to teens are Google, YouTube, and Netflix. That’s followed by Oreoes, Xbox/Playstation, GoPro, Chick-Fil-A, Nike, and Supreme.
- Which brings me to THE MEMES: