Everything We Know So Far About The Shooting At Fort Lauderdale Airport And The Shooter Esteban Santiago
At least one shooter opened fire at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida on Friday afternoon. The shooting, which took place at 12:55 p.m. at the baggage claim inside Terminal 2, has claimed the lives of at least five and injured at least 13 more.
“We were told to hit the deck and we stayed there until we were given the green light to leave,” a witness on the airport tarmac said. “Needless to say, everybody’s pretty shaken up.”
The shooter, Esteban Santiago, was taken into custody. Santiago was born on March 16, 1990. He was said to be bearing a “Star Wars” shirt and had a military I.D. as well as a Florida driving licence and had a concealed carry permit for his gun on him when he was apprehended. The 26-year-old Santiago was said to lay on the ground spread eagled when he surrendered to police.
One official said Santiago arrived at the Fort Lauderdale airport from a Canadian flight. He allegedly had a checked gun in bag, went to the bathroom to load the gun and then shot numerous people at the baggage claim.
Footage shows people evacuating the tarmac.
Former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer was at the tragic scene.
The airport has been shut down and no flights are coming in or going out.