116 Things Every 20-Something Bro Remembers From Their Childhood
As a generation of aging Gen Y children, many of us currently in our 20s love looking back with nostalgia at our halcyon days of innocence: When Carson Daly was an edgy voice-of-the-youth on MTV, not for housewives on Good Morning America. When Gordon Bombay Mighty Ducks jerseys weren’t considered throwbacks. When pump-up sneakers were considered performance-enhancing and GoldenEye multiplayer adventures (…in The Facility, throwing knives only) were the go-to after-school activity. We all hated Barney on the playground even more than we hate Justin Bieber now.
A couple weeks ago a friend and I were reminiscing about our collective crushes on Danielle Fishel and Sabrina the Teenage Witch-era Melissa Joan Hart back in the day. This got me thinking: All Bros in their late-20s probably have very similar childhood memories, so why not list them out? Sometimes it’s fun to look back at the cultural mile-markers that, once-upon-a-time, defined your generation. For those of us who grew up and came of age in the 90s, it’s a chunk of time we’ll always look back fondly upon and cherish as our very own.
I came up with a list of 116 items. I’m sure there could easily be another 200, though I tried to keep them as broad as possible. I’ll fully admit that my list is a subjective one defined by the tastes and experiences of my childhood. Your list is probably different, so me know what else belongs in the comments.
1. Navigating the pandemonium of the cafeteria on Pizza Hut Pizza day.
2. Desperately wanting a glowing piece of the Aggro Crag from Guts as the centerpiece for your bedroom.
3. Watching Amahad Rashal host Inside the NBA.
4. Falsely thinking Larry Johnson’s Reebok pumps would help improve your basketball game.
5. Enjoying just how perfect every song on the Space Jam soundtrack was.
6. Convincing your parents to let you borrow their credit card so you could take advantage of a Colombia House/BMI Record Club deal where you get 10 CDs for a dollar.
8. Squinting your eyes to play an old school Gameboy with a green screen.
9. Being pissed the NBA Finals were interrupted to broadcast OJ Simpson’s white Bronco speed down a California freeway.
10. Anti-skip protection.
11. Playing Mario Kart 64 and always doing the short-cut through the cave in Koppa Troppa Beach.
12. Michael Jordan’s Game 6 flu game.
13. Receiving a Huffy for your birthday.
14. Not being allowed to watch Bevis and Butthead because of some stupid media outrage, but doing it anyway at a friend’s house whose parents were never home.
15. Going through a “dinosaur stage” right around the time Jurassic Park came out.
16. Going through a soccer phase after the 1994 World Cup that involved buying Umbros.
17. Beating Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time in a night.