What’s the secret to getting jacked? What about losing those last 15 pounds?
The secret is…there is no secret. Achieving your fitness goals isn’t about finding the “secret to success” or that “one trick trainers don’t want you to know”.
But while there are no secrets, there certainly are things you can do to reach your goals that you may not be doing, or may not know about.
But don’t worry; as usual, I got your back.
What follows are 30 tips you can use to help you achieve all of your fitness goals. By implementing these tips as part of your regimen you will burn more fat, build more muscle, and look fucking awesome.
- Squat, and squat often. It’s a basic human movement pattern, plus is uses many different muscle groups meaning it burns a ton of calories.
- Same goes for the deadlift. Your program should include some sort of hip-hinge movement.
- Eat lots of dead animal flesh. If you’re against that for some weird reason, invest in a quality protein powder. The importance of protein while building muscle AND losing fat cannot be understated.
- Get 7-8 hours of quality sleep per night. Don’t think you need that much? You’re wrong.
- Focus your training on compound, multi-joint movements. If you can’t squat or deadlift your bodyweight, you have no business doing curls.
- The bench press is fine…the dumbbell bench press is better.
- Our mothers were right. Eat your veggies.
- Your muscles do not need to be “confused”. Get good at an exercise and progress until you cant anymore.
- Eat carbs. They help fuel your workouts.
- Eat fat. It helps with proper hormone function.
- Walk. It’s a great way to burn extra calories, it helps facilitate recovery, and gives you time to read, listen to podcasts, or just clear your mind.
- Get comfortable being uncomfortable. Dieting and training isn’t always going to be easy.
- Invest the time in learning how to count calories. Not only will you see faster progress, but the best thing counting calories did for me was teach me how to not count calories.
- Want to get bigger? Focus on getting stronger. No one with a 2x bodyweight squat or 2.5x bodyweight deadlift is going to be small.
- Wanna grow your arms? Get better at chin-ups. Show me someone who can do 15-20 full rep bodyweight chin-ups and I’ll show you someone with an impressive set of guns.
- Find a diet you can stick with for months and years, not days and weeks.
- Focus on progressive overload. Add weights or reps every workout.
- Rest. You can’t train 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Your body needs time to recover.
- Have sex.
• You can’t out-train a shitty diet. Cliché but true.
- Train one leg or one arm at a time. The benefits are undeniable.
- Farmer’s walks are great for building muscle and shredding fat. Grab something heavy and walk with it.
- Don’t neglect your glutes. Stronger glutes equals a stronger and healthier body.
- Do not sacrifice form to move more weight. You can’t train if you’re injured.
- Take 5-10 minutes and do a proper warm-up. Stretching doesn’t count.
- Jogging makes you better at jogging. Biking makes you better at biking. Strength training makes you better at everything.
- Use kettlebells more. Do swings, cleans, snatches…these are highly explosive movements that are great for conditioning and burning extra calories.
- Tension is the name of the game. Get tight while performing all your exercises. Don’t know what that feels like? Brace your abs and squeeze your glutes. Doing so will make the exercise much more challenging, but will also make you much stronger.
- Enjoy what you are doing. It will make the process much easier.
Yeah, enjoy what you are doing, just like this guy…