Philly College Student Was In Class When His iPhone Exploded In His Back Pocket And Set Him On Fire

By 10.03.16
iPhone explodes student's pocket rowan college

YouTube / ABC6 News


Rowan College student Darin Hlavaty was sitting in class when his iPhone 6 Plus (coincidentally the exact same model of the iPhone I have) exploded in his pocket and set him on fire. According to Darin, class had just started when he sensed the tremendous heat coming from the back pocket where his iPhone was located and he almost instantly saw smoke erupting from that pocket. Before he knew what was happening his jeans were on fire and his iPhone 6 Plus had exploded.

iPhone explodes student's pocket rowan college

YouTube / ABC6


iPhone explodes student's pocket rowan college

YouTube / ABC6


via ABC 6 News:

“I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg,” said Hlavaty.
Hlavaty had just been reaching for a pen in his 9:30 a.m. physical science class.
“Right as class was starting, my phone started smoking in my pocket. It was a fire,” said Hlavaty.
“Out of nowhere, we heard a fizzing and a popping sound. Suddenly a great mass of smoke comes out from his pocket,” said Rebecca Bookbinder, student.
Classmate Rebecca Bookbinder had been sitting nearby.
“Everyone was kind of like, ‘What is that? What is that? And then we all realized that’s his phone that combusted in the middle of class,” said Bookbinder.
“It was super hot so I flinched, grabbed it, threw it on the ground. Had to kick it because it was on fire,” said Hlavaty.

This is something we’ve seen a lot in the news recently but not with iPhones. Samsung‘s been making headlines worldwide for their exploding Galaxy Note 7’s which were subsequently recalled after a string of disasters. There have also been many reports of exploding Samsung washing machines in recent days, so it’s definitely not a good time to work in Samsung’s PR department.

Anyways, an iPhone 7 exploded the other day but we detailed exactly why you shouldn’t be worried about that (tl;dr — the battery was compromised and that caused a fire).

For more on this story you can click on over to ABC 6 News’ report and/or The Lad Bible!


TAGSexploding iPhoneiPhoneiphone 6 plusiphone 7Rowan college

Join The Discussion