Research Study Of 2,000 People Has Determined The Top 50 Signs You Are Finally An Adult
Owning a vacuum cleaner, doing all your own washing and paying utility bills are all among the signs you’re an adult, according to new research.
A study of 2,000 people has revealed the top 50 signs of finally reaching adulthood, with the list including things such as preferring to live in a clean house, not purchasing the cheapest wine at the store and getting excited at the thought of buying a dishwasher. You know, all the fun things.
Preferring a night in to a night out, getting insurance and always clearing things away at the end of an evening (rather than stacking dishes in the sink) also featured highly in the list.
The One Poll research from Endsleigh Insurance Services also discovered that those surveyed believe that we now turn into an adult at the grand old age of 25 – some seven years later than “legal adulthood.”
Other signs of being an adult include shopping weekly for food and being able to cook food from scratch. Moving out of the family home is also a sure sign someone is on their way to being an adult, as is making your own financial decisions.
Endsleigh also found that, for students and house sharers, going out less to save money and selecting housemates based on reliability to pay rent, cleanliness and work ethic were also prominent signs of adulthood.
Watching the news, going to bed before 11 PM and owning a pet also appear on the top 50 list.
Julia Alpan, head of marketing at Endsleigh, added, “It’s surprising to see just how many young adults confessed to not undertaking day-to-day tasks such as paying utility bills and arranging their own insurance. For young people and students leaving home for the first time, this can be a daunting experience, which is why many millennials are choosing to avoid the realities of ‘adult’ life for longer than ever before – and relying on parental support well into their 20s.”
Researchers found that six in 10 adults believed you need to be at a point in life where your finances are in order to start feeling like a grown-up – which includes arranging your own insurance, keeping track of interest rates, having a credit card and a savings account.
A quarter of respondents aged 18 and over still haven’t ever paid either a gas or electricity bill, and 12 percent still haven’t paid for their own rent.
Here are the top 50 signs that you are actually an adult, according to the study. How many have you accomplished?
1. Paying utility bills
2. Doing your own washing/ironing
4. Moving out from the family home
5. Taking out home insurance
6. Having a mortgage/buying a house
7. Your mom and dad don’t make your financial decisions for you any more
8. You pay into a pension
9. Keeping a clean house
10. Doing weekly food shopping
11. Having children
12. You book your own appointments
13. You have written a will
14. Preferring a night in to a night out
15. Being able to cook from scratch
16. Watching the news
17. You have a credit card
18. Going to the dump
19. You have a savings account
20. Always clearing things away at the end of the evening rather than stacking dishes in the sink
21. Knowing what terms certain basic financial terms mean
22. Owning a vacuum cleaner
23. You take a keen interest in the garden
24. You recycle
25. You can bleed a radiator
26. Having a joint bank account
27. You have a view on politics
28. You can change a light bulb
29. Keeping track of interest rates
30. Owning a lawn mower
31. No longer going home for a Sunday meal
32. Hosting dinner parties
33. You greet people with a handshake
34. Owning your own car on finance
35. Getting excited at the thought of buying a dishwasher
36. You decorate
37. You spend weekends “puttering around”
38. Going to bed before 11pm
39. Your mom starts asking you for advice
40. Not always purchasing the cheapest wine in the shop
41. You have at least tried to discuss the economy
42. You wear a coat and sensible shoes on nights out
43. Having a to do list
44. You can change a tire
45. You can follow a recipe
46. You enjoy art galleries/museums
47. Having a calendar
48. You are a proud pet owner
49. You have a “best” dish set
50. You buy a Sunday paper