Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. That’s the lesson a Washington woman named Jamie Bisceglia learned the hard way after she thought it would be a funny to put an octopus on her face in an effort to get the perfect photo. Bad idea.
Bisceglia was participating in a fishing derby in Tacoma Narrows on Saturday and was looking to win a prize, not a stupid prize, but just a prize.
“It was a photo contest in the derby. So, crazy me, hindsight now and looking back, I probably made a big mistake,” Bisceglia said [to KIRO News].
Bisceglia put the octopus on her face and posed. At first, it grabbed with her with its suckers, and then did something she didn’t expect. It bit her on the face.
“It had barreled its beak into my chin and then let go a little bit and did it again,” said Bisceglia. “It was a really intense pain when it went inside and it just bled, dripping blood for a long time.”
You know why she was in intense pain? Because this octopus has a bite that contains a poisonous venom to immobilize prey such as crabs, clams and mussels.
“[My friends] noticed my face had changed,” she told Huffington Post. “We couldn’t get the beak to dislodge ― it was like a prong.”
Bisceglia says she bled profusely for 30 minutes after receiving the bite, but she soldiered on and finished the derby.
This was not a smart decision because after two days of suffering the left side of Bisceglia’s face was paralyzed with a large amount of swelling,
She reports that she is still in pain, “I’m on three different antibiotics. This can come and go, the swelling, for months they say.”
“This was not a good idea,” Bisceglia told KIRO News.
She did, however, get some joy from the experience. She boiled and grilled the offending octupus and served it on a salad.
She’ll also find out if she won the $100 photo contest later this week, so she might still win a prize too.