Sony Reveals Specs And Details About PlayStation 5 – How It Compares To The New Xbox Series X
The official specs of the upcoming Sony PlayStation 5 have finally been revealed by Sony. And if the world situation stays the same for the rest of 2020, Sony will sell a ton of PS5 consoles.
Sony’s system architect Mark Cerny delivered a presentation on the new PS5. Sony’s next-generation gaming console specifications are below:
- CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency) (custom-made by AMD)
- GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
- Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
- Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
- Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
- IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
- Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
- External Storage: USB HDD Support
- Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
The new PlayStation 5 will offer 8K gaming as well as 4K gaming at 120Hz, 3D audio, low power consumption mode to save energy, and backwards compatibility with PS4 titles.
The specifications for the new PlayStation mean that the new PS5 will have dramatically faster load times than previous models. The PS4 took around 20 seconds to load a single gigabyte of data, and the PS5’s SSD will be expected to load five gigabytes in one second.
The Playstation 5 will use variable frequencies, in what is called a “boost.” The boost will increase performance regardless of ambient temperature.
The new DualShock controller will have adaptive triggers, haptic feedback instead of a rumble motor, and an “improved speaker.”
So how does the PS5 compare to Microsoft’s Xbox Series X? The Microsoft Xbox Series X console will feature an eight-core processor at 3.8GHz, a GPU with 12 teraflops and 52 compute units each clocked at 1.825GHz, 16GB of GDDR6 RAM, and a 1TB SSD.
Here are the specs of both next-gen gaming consoles.
Sony did not reveal the price of the PS5, but it is expected to be released in the fourth quarter of 2020.
Here is the entire Sony presentation for the unveiling of the PlayStation 5.