For the 28th year in a row Career Cast has released their annual jobs report, ranking the 200 best or worst jobs in America, depending on how you read the report. Coming in at #1 on the list is Data Scientist, followed by Statistician (#2), Information Security Analyst (#3), Audiologist (#4), and Diagnostic Medical Sonographer rounds at the top 5. At the other end of the spectrum we can see the worst jobs in America for 2016, and I have a feeling that the fifth worst ranking job is going to piss off A LOT of you out there.
Before we get to the 20 Worst Jobs in America for 2016 let’s take a look at what factors into the methodology of these rankings, and what determines the worst jobs of 2016 (via CareerCast.com):
The Jobs Rated report’s methodology analyzes each job’s environment (emotional, physical and hours worked), income (growth potential and salary), outlook (employment growth, income growth potential and unemployment), and 11 stress factors to determine which professions are among the least desirable.
Declining employment opportunities contribute to the inclusion of many of the 10 worst careers in the 2016 Jobs Rated report. Traditional news media is particularly hard hit.
Alright, enough about the methodology. Let’s take a look at the 20 worst jobs in America (in 2016), shall we? This list will in order of bad to worse, with the last (#1) job listed being the WORST job in America.
The 20 Worst Jobs In America (In 2016)
20. Construction Worker (Stress: 36.85, Income: $30,285)
19. Chef (Stress: 38.22, Income: $42,322)
17. Mail Carrier
16. Oil Rig Worker (Stress: 27.33, Income: $36,233)
15. Childcare Worker
14. Garbage Collector
12. Corrections Officer (Stress: 32.63, Income: $40,263)
11. Meter Reader
10. Firefighter (Stress: 72.68, Income: $46,368)
9. Taxi Driver
8. Advertising Sales Person
7. Retail Sales Person
6. Pest Control Worker
5. Enlisted Military Personnel (Stress: 64.140, Income: $45,374)
4. Disk Jockey (Stress: 29.76, Income: $29,376)
3. Broadcaster (Stress: 47.93, Income: $37,293)
2. Logger (Stress: 41.360, Hiring Outlook: -6.59)
1. Newspaper Reporter (Stress: 49.900, Hiring Outlook: -8.72)
So the reason I think that #5, Enlisted Military Personnel, is going to piss a shit ton of people off is because while it’s a profession with an extremely high level of stress and relatively modest pay it’s also one of the most fulfilling and honorable professions in the world, which isn’t taken into account by the methodology of these rankings.
To see all 200 jobs in the rankings, from best to worst, you can click on over to CareerCast.com!