After multiple accusers came forward and accused Antonio Brown of sexual assault, it appears the New England Patriots have decided to part ways with the wide receiver based on a tweet he sent out on Friday afternoon.
According to Adam Schefter, the Patriots released a statement in the wake of the news confirming they’d had a sudden change of heart.
At a press conference earlier in the day, Bill Belichick declined to field multiple questions that were directed his way concerning the embattled player but it appears the team has decided to explore other options after the NFL announced it was looking into the allegations against him.
Ten days ago, we learned Brown’s former trainer accused him of sexually assaulting her on multiple occasions, and earlier this week, Sports Illustrated spoke to a woman who said he made unwanted advances while she was painting a mural in his home.
After that story broke, the woman in question said she received intimidating texts from Brown that included pictures of her children.
The Patriots previously said they were unaware of the initial accusations when they signed the wide receiver after he was released by the Raiders, who cut him from the roster after it became clear he wasn’t happy in Oakland.
As things currently stand, it would appear that Brown is officially done in the NFL unless there’s some team desperate enough to take him on despite the allegations against him, which seems highly unlikely given the circumstances.
With that said, this is the NFL we’re talking about, so you never really know.