Even the most ardent of NFL fans may not be familiar with the name Ronnie Rivers.
And that’s okay. Rivers is a rookie running back for Los Angeles Rams that was a signed as an undrafted free agent following the 2022 NFL Draft.
But that didn’t stop the Fresno State product. Not only did he make the team, but he was actually on Los Angeles’ active roster for eight of the 17 games in his rookie season.
Rivers had eight caries for 21 yards and four receptions for 15 yards in LA’s 31-14 Week 8 loss to San Francisco 49ers.
So why are we talking about a rookie running back that nobody has ever heard of and made little on-field impact? Because in one night this past weekend Rivers made nearly the entirety of what he made through the 2022 season.
Rams Rookie RB Claims Gigantic Poker Jackpot
The 24-year-old hit an incredible three-card poker jackpot on Saturday night at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
His takeaway: an eye-watering $514,847. That’s just less than the $705,000 base salary he earned with the Rams this past season.
Rules Of Three-Card Poker
Caesars explains the rules of three-card poker as follows:
- To start, the player places an ante wager and/or a pair plus wager, betting that they will have a hand of at least a pair or better.
- Three cards are then dealt face down to each player and to the dealer. You are only playing the dealer and not other players at the table.
- The player will then look at his hand and determine to place a play wager (equal to the amount they put as the ante wager) to pit his hand against the dealer’s hand or not. Optimum strategy says the player should “play” all hands greater than Queen, Six and Four and fold all hands worse.
- The hand is over if a player folds and the dealer will collect the player’s ante wager and pair plus wager. If the player places a play wager, the cards will be turned over to determine if the player has a better hand than the dealer.
- If the dealer has a hand of Jack-high or worse, the play wager is returned to the player (and) if the dealer has a hand of Queen-high or better, both the play wager and the ante are paid out at 1 to 1 if the player has a better hand than the dealer.
- Both the ante and play bets are collected if the dealer’s hand is superior. The pair plus bet is determined completely independent to what the dealer has.
Rivers told local Las Vegas news station Fox 5 that he plans on buying a house with the earnings.
Who knows, if Rivers has a good enough 2023 season maybe he can lobby the NFL to next year’s edition of the Pro Bowl games.