Did you know that 11,000 members on Gen Z turn 18-years-old every day? Yeah. No wonder companies are looking to capture the attention (and dollars) of this next wave of consumers.
With that in mind, the folks over at C+R Research analyzed Google search volume by looking at more than 500 keywords to find the most popular brands, musicians, TV shows, video games, influencers, and more in 25 college towns across America.
Here’s what they learned…
WHAT ARE THE MOST POPULAR BEERS?
• Corona is the most popular kind of beer nationwide.
• Keystone Light is the favorite at the most schools.
• Michelob Ultra is the beer of choice at the second most colleges.
• Yuengling is the top beer pick at the third most universities.
• Other popular choices: Miller High Life, Busch, Hamm’s, Dos Equis, Modelo, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Coors Light.
WHAT ARE THE MOST POPULAR FAST FOOD CHAINS?
• College students heavily prefer Starbucks as it got the most national votes.
• Panda Express is the favorite at the most schools (10 out of 25).
• Dunkin’ Donuts and Taco Bell are the top choice at the second and third most colleges.
• Other popular choices: Wendy’s, Burger King, and Chipotle.
WHICH PEOPLE ARE MOST INFLUENTIAL ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES?
• The most popular musician nationwide on college campuses is Taylor Swift.
• The most popular musician at the most colleges is Chance the Rapper.
• Post Malone, Twenty One Pilots, and Migos are also favorites at several schools.
• Other popular choices: Lil Dicky, Childish Gambino, Fifth Harmony, Tyga, Nicki Minaj, Beyonce, and Ariana Grande.
• The most popular influencer overall is YouTube celebrity Logan Paul, but not at any one school.
• VanossGaming is the most popular at the most colleges.
• Ryan Higa is a close second, while twins Brooklyn & Bailey topped the third most colleges.
• Other popular choices: King Bach, Erika Costell, Lucas & Marcus, PewDiePie, Jenna Marbles, Connor Frants, KSI, and Bratayley.
WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST BRANDS ON CAMPUS?
• Nationally, superstore Target is the most popular brand.
• Whole Foods and Apple are also go-to brands, taking the top spot at the most schools.
• Other popular choices: Amazon Prime, PlayStation, Wii, and GoPro.
WHAT ARE COLLEGE STUDENTS WEARING?
• The most popular brand nationwide is Urban Outfitters.
• Athleisure brand Lululemon is the most popular at the most universities.
• Under Armour took top honors at the third most schools.
• Other popular choices: Vans, Victoria’s Secret, Zara, American Eagle, Brandy Melville, adidas, and Hollister.
WHAT ARE COLLEGE STUDENTS DOING FOR ENTERTAINMENT?
• The most popular Netflix show overall is Stranger Things.
• Suits, however, is number one at the most colleges.
• American Horror Story and Power came in first at the second and third most colleges.
• Other popular choices: The Crown, Big Mouth, Bob’s Burgers, Black Mirror, Vampire Diaries, and Breaking Bad.
• The most popular video game nationwide is Fortnite, but it wasn’t number one at any given college.
• World of Warcraft is most popular at the most schools.
• Counter Strike is also a big hit among the college crowd.
• Other popular choices: The Legend of Zelda, Overwatch, Grand Theft Auto, and Pokémon.
To view the methodology used for this study, go here.