The National Coffee Association Says This Is How You Brew The Perfect Cup Of Coffee


Coffee is life. I wouldn’t make it through the day without coffee. I’m drinking 3-5 cups a day starting around 9 am and going through the late afternoon. I make my own cold brew at home these days using this badass cold brew pitcher ($24) I found on Amazon back in June that’s been a total game changer for me. I don’t need to elaborate too much here, coffee is life. I love Starbucks coffee because it’s incredibly strong, and likewise I despise Dunkin Donuts coffee because it tastes like pissy mud water with a slight hint of coffee. We all take our coffee different ways. I prefer mine black. My co-worker Matt probably drinks his with 40 Splendas and 2-gallons of almond milk. But we’re here today to talk about how to make the perfect cup of coffee.

The National Coffee Association USA has guidelines about the ‘perfect cup of coffee’, and the ratio they suggest is 1 or 2 tablespoons of ground coffee for every six ounces of water. The 1-2 variance is for people who prefer lighter/darker/weaker/stronger coffee. According to the Daily Mail, the National Coffee Association also says the perfect cup of coffee should be served at a temperature between 185 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit. The NCA says you should let water reach a full boil and then rest for one minute before pouring it over coffee grounds, and then you let the coffee brew for five minutes in a filter-drip system (like this one on Amazon). Do all of this, and according to the National Coffee Association, you will end up with a truly perfect cup of coffee.

Like I said before, I’m drinking multiple cups of coffee each day. I’d say that 90% of my coffee intake in the Summer months is cold brew and the other 10% is Nespresso. I feel like I’m left on the outside here by not using a filter drip system for my coffee because without that I won’t be able to experience the ‘perfect’ cup of coffee, according to the experts. So, without further ado, I’m going to go drop $20 on Amazon for this Pour Over Coffee Maker because I’ve got extreme FOMO right now. (h/t Daily Mail)