After a seemingly eternal wait, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia will finally make its grand return on Wednesday when it comes back for its 14th season, and as we learned during its most recent run of episodes, the show has not lost its fastball.
The Gang has consumed an impressive amount of booze over the years and its members have figured out a number of innovative ways to get their drink on, whether it’s chugging wine during Chardee MacDennis, doing the same with the help of a soda can, or downing a gallon of Riot Juice.
However, I don’t know if anyone has come up with a more ingenious way to consume alcohol than Frank, who introduced the world to the concept of “rum ham” in season seven’s “The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore.”
When I was in college, a few of my friends and I attempted to recreate Frank’s incredible innovation by soaking a ham in a container filled with rum much to the chagrin of our taste buds.
However, my greatest dream has now been realized thanks to Sailor Jerry.
The company decided to celebrate the return of It’s Always Sunny by teaming up with Dietz & Watson to come up with a recipe for rum ham that doesn’t taste like sadness and regret.
Without further ado…
Sailor Jerry x Dietz & Watson Rum Ham
- 1 Dietz & Watson Tiffany Dinner Ham
- 3 ½ parts of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum
- 1 part pineapple juice
- 1 part light brown sugar
- ¼ parts salt
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 3 – 5 parts water
- Pineapple slices and maraschino cherry for garnish
- Add 3 parts of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum & pineapple juice to a large stockpot.
- Add peppercorns and cloves.
- Bring to a boil. Let boil for 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add brown sugar and salt. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Add ham to the pot and add enough water to cover the ham. Let simmer for 25 minutes or until ham is warmed through. Turn off heat.
- Add remaining ½ part of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum and let sit in liquid for 10 additional minutes.
- Remove ham from pot, top with pineapple slices and cherry and serve. Use reserved liquid to pour on top of slices.
If you’re looking to pair a drink with your rum ham, you’re in luck.
- 1 part Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum
- 1 cup diced fresh mango
- 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- ½ cup of Fight Milk (2% milk)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a blender, puree until smooth. Serve immediately
I can’t think of a better meal to have on Wednesday night.