A contestant on the TBS show “Wipeout” died earlier this week, moments after completing a run through the obstacle course.
Sources close to the production of the show told CNN that the man received on-site emergency medical attention but died a short time later. People spoke to CNN on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the incident.
NBC News is reporting the man was in his 30s. The cause of death is still unknown.
“Wipeout” contestants undergo medical examinations before participating and contestants this season are also tested for Covid-19 prior to filming.
The show halted production on Thursday and Friday will take a planned week off for the Thanksgiving holiday.
A spokesperson for TBS told CNN in a statement: “We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family.”
The reality competition show involves contestants navigating an extreme obstacle course that features giant balls, pitfalls, and contestants often failing in awkward ways. The original version of the show ran on ABC from 2008 until 2014 and is being rebooted by TBS.
The show is hosted by Nicole Byer and John Cena.