The Daily Mail has a conducted an interview with a man who alleges to be Prince’s former drug dealer, and if his confessions are true it would reveal that the superstar singer had an extreme problem abusing drugs and may bring light as to why he died at such an early age.
The Minnesotan man, who goes by the name of “Doctor D,” claims that he was Prince’s drug dealer from 1984 until 2008. The anonymous man details their relationship:
“I first met Prince in 1984 while he was filming the movie Purple Rain and he was already majorly addicted to opiates – I didn’t hook him on drugs he was already a really heavy user. In the beginning he would buy speed as well as Dilaudid. I would sell him black beauties which were a black pill and cross tops which were also speed pills. He would use that as a counter balance to get back up again from taking opiates. That lasted for a couple of years then he would just buy Dilaudid, which is a heroin based opiate. It is highly addictive.”
He alleges that the singer had a serious and expensive dependency on painkillers. In one transaction, Prince allegedly spent $40,000 on a six-month supply of Dilaudid pills and Fentanyl patches, both highly addictive opioid painkillers. But the man states that Prince needed the pills for his social anxiety, but never took harder drugs:
“As far as I knew he never took heroin – as that would leave you out of it for days whereas Dilaudid gives you an energy buzz as well as making you feel relaxed – so he preferred it. He needed the drugs because he was so nervous – he could be nervous in a room with just five people in it. He was scared to go out in public, he was scared to talk to people and didn’t like to go on stage – he had the worst case of stage fright I’d ever seen. A lot of performers rely on drugs to make them feel confident on stage but he was by far the worse. Plus he was always paranoid about doctors so he wouldn’t ask them for help – he had a phobia of them.”
Over the past few days there have been stories circulating that Prince overdosed on the opiate Percocet, which he had prescribed for a hip problem.
We have no idea if this man is telling the truth or not being that drug dealers aren’t exactly the greatest characters themselves, but if these serious allegations are true, it may explain why Prince Rogers Nelson died suddenly at his Paisley Park home in Minneapolis on Thursday at the age of 57-years-old. Though an autopsy has been completed, the cause of Prince’s death has yet to be announced, but officials have dismissed suicide.
Let’s take a moment to remember Prince’s best live performances.