I think I can sum up the Cards Against Humanity Black Friday deal in one word, “Nothing.” A store that sells nothing. No products. It’s about nothing. Absolutely nothing. Genius. It’s such a simple, mind-blowing business model. It has extremely low overhead, your product is easily accessible and unlimited, shipping is free for the buyer and seller. Why didn’t I think of selling nothing? Like literally nothing. That’s exactly what Cards Against Humanity did for only one day and they made a killing.
Cards Against Humanity, the popular politically incorrect party game, offered the most intriguing Black Friday deal this year: give them $5 and you shall receive absolutely nothing in return. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nothing.
The company, which makes the “party game for horrible people,” replaced its online store with only the option to pay 5 bucks for nothing at all.
Here’s how they marketed this revolutionary product on their site:
About This Amazing Offer
If I give you $5, will I actually get anything in exchange?
We’re so glad you asked! No.
Why are you selling nothing?
On Black Friday, everybody is selling something. We’re the only company to offer the superior Black Friday experience of buying nothing.
But really, I’ll get something, right?
No, we’re not even taking your shipping address. All we have to offer is nothing.
But I need to buy your game right now.
Sometimes buying nothing is better than buying Cards Against Humanity. This is one of those times.
If I give you $5, what are you going to do with the money?
That’s for us to know and you to find out. We’ll make the announcement soon.
Why would anyone just give you $5?
Because the greatest Black Friday gift of all is buying nothing. We’re offering that for the rock-bottom price of $5. How can you afford NOT to seize this incredible opportunity?
And people purchased “nothing” for $5. A lot of people actually. An incredible 11,248 people paid $5 for nothing, and 1,199 people gave more $5 by filling out the form more than once. One person who must really, really love nothing paid $100 for nothing. They made $71,145 in only 24 hours by selling nothing.
Some of the items that the purchased included:
- 760 Pounds of ARM & HAMMER Clump & Seal Cat Litter
- Donation to NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness
- A Roomba
- Donation to the Tree House Humane Society
- Paying Off Student Loans
- Donation to the Wilderness Society
- Adoption of a Short-Tailed Fruit Bat Named “Lil Dracula”
- Donation to Greater Chicago Food Depository
- $50 in $1 Bills
- Donation to the American Refugee Response Committee
- Mario Kart 8
- Donation to DonorsChoose.org
- Flight to Finland
- Donation to Planned Parenthood
- 3-Gallon Bucket of Tahini
- Donation to For the Love of Labs Animal Rescue
- Tickets to Medieval Times
- Yamazaki 18-Year Single Malt Whiskey
- Donation to Lincoln Park Community Center
- Front Row Tickets to Chicago Cubs Home Opener
- YVA 24-Karat Vibrating Massager
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- Lagavulin 21-Year-Old Scotch
- Donation to American Foundation to Suicide Prevention
- A Space Heater
- Root Beer
- Donation To Living Beyond Breast Cancer
- LASIK Corrective Eye Surgery
- Donation to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
- Suit of Armor
- Piano Lessons
- Paying Divorce Lawyer
You can see how they spent all $71,145 here.