There are 20 people dead and 42 injured after a gunman went on a shooting rampage at Pulse nightclub in Orlando.
Here is what we know so far:
- At around 2:00 a.m. the gunman went into Pulse Nightclub, a popular gay club south of downtown Orlando, and took approximately 320 people inside hostage.
- Orlando officer working as security guard at Pulse nightclub exchanged gunfire with suspect, then the gunman barricaded himself inside the club.
- Nine officers were the first to enter the club and exchanged gunfire with the suspect in two shootings.
- The Orlando Fire Department called for its bomb squad and hazardous material team to the scene after 3 a.m.
- At 5 a.m. authorities used an explosive device to distract the gunman, then authorities plowed into the club with a vehicle.
- Police reported just before 6 a.m. that the shooter inside the club was dead.
- One police officer sustained an injury to his head and was saved by his helmet.
- The shooter was carrying an assault rifle, a handgun and was possibly wearing an explosive “device.”
- The gunman has not been identified and authorities believe he is a “lone wolf.”
- About 30 people were “saved during the rescue,” Orlando Police Chief John Mina said at a morning news conference.
- “Actions of the first responders and hospitals have saved many lives,” Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said.
- The FBI is investigating the shooting.
- FBI agent Ron Hopper said they cannot rule this out as an act of domestic terrorism and that the suspect, who is not from Orlando, may have leanings toward extreme Islamic ideologies.
- This is the largest terror attack since 9/11.
- CBS News reports that the shooter’s name is Omar Mateen.
[protected-iframe id=”32be797d2773b0df82a17b878a6541b8-97886205-93291949″ info=”http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=a2d419e6a5b3″ width=”640″ height=”360″ frameborder=”0″]
This comes only a day after The Voice singer Christina Grimmie was shot and killed after performing a concert in Orlando.
Navy Dad Surprises Son