We now know why the son of NFL legend Ray Lewis passed away.
On Thursday, it was reported that Ray Lewis III, who had once played football for the University of Miami, had died at 28 years of age.
Ray Lewis III, the son of Baltimore Ravens legend and Pro Football Hall of Famer Ray Lewis, has died. He was 28 years old.
Lewis’ younger brother, Rahsaan Lewis, posted about his sibling’s death Thursday in an Instagram story.
Details of the circumstances surrounding his death were not yet known.
“Really can’t believe I’m even typing this but RIP big brother,” Rahsaan Lewis wrote. “A true angel I pray (you’re) at peace now because ik how much you was (really) hurtin … I love you I love you I love you.”
On Friday police revealed that Lewis III died of an accidental overdose at his home.
TMZ Sports obtained the overdose report from police in Florida … and it says Lewis apparently died from an accidental overdose.
Police say they responded to a call for a medical emergency and found an unresponsive Lewis, who was getting CPR from a friend while another friend was screaming for Narcan (a drug used during overdoses).
TMZ goes on to report that drug paraphernalia had been found in his room at the time of his death.
The report also says cops searched the room and found a blue pill near Lewis’ body, which they unofficially identified as Alprazolam (the drug in brands like Xanax). Police also say there was a used needle at the scene, plus a small plastic bag found inside of an empty beer can.