Back in July, the Los Angeles Angels announced the sudden and unexpected death of pitcher Tyler Skaggs, who was found unconscious in his hotel room before the team was set to face the Rangers in Texas.
Today we learned Skaggs’ cause of death and according to the autopsy report he died after he choked on his own vomit after taking fentanyl, oxycodone and alcohol.
Via NY Post
Skaggs, who was found dead in his hotel room on July 1 at the age of 27, had the opioids fentanyl and oxycodone in his system along with alcohol, according to a toxicology report by the Tarrant County (Texas) medical examiner’s office. The death was ruled an accident.
In official parlance, the cause of death is listed as a mixture of “alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents.”
The report says Skaggs was found fully dressed on his bed and there were no signs of trauma, though a statement issued Friday by Skaggs’ family suggests an Angels employee might be involved — and even may have supplied the drugs.
Skaggs’ family released a statement and they believe an Angels employee may have been involved in his death.