People love a good food hack. The latest fast food hack that went viral on TikTok may not exactly be a “food hack” per se, but it may get you free food.
TikTok user “itsosoprodigy” AKA Orlando Johnson was eating at a McDonald’s establishment, when his friend asked a worker for a refill. Not for a refill of Sprite or Fanta or even Hi-C Orange Lavaburst. He went up to the McDonald’s employee and asked them to refill his large fries. And by golly they did! They hooked him up with a second large container overflowing with crispy, golden french fries.
Johnson captioned the video, “McDonald’s out here with exceptional service they icecream machine was down tho.”
The TikTok video “food hack” to obtain a second healthy helping of carbs went viral, racking up more than 4.7 million views.
“Turns out they have to do this,” according to Mcdonalds_histoian1955, Newsweek reported. “If you read the fine print, a large fries gets unlimited refills.”
There is debate as to whether or not it is McDonald’s policy to provide free refills on fries.
A Costa Rican website claims there are eight rules for beverage refills:
- The beverage is for individual consumption.
- It applies with the purchase of any McCombo from the regular menu or an individual beverage.
- It does not apply during breakfast hours.
- It only applies during the 60 minutes after the purchase.
- The refill must be requested after waiting in the regular line at the restaurant’s counter.
- You must show your receipt in order to request the refill.
- Once a customer has left the restaurant the refill is no longer valid.
Many people believe that free refills are decided by each individual McDonald’s franchise.
The U.S. website for McDonald’s shows no search results for “refills.”
Johnson went to a Raising Cane’s restaurant to see if they would supply a refill on fries. The chicken joint obliged to giving a second serving of fries.
The free fry guys then tested Wendy’s on the refill on fries. It worked!
Johnson decided to see how far McDonald’s would go with the free refills and asked for a refill on McNuggets. While they technically didn’t refill his nuggs, they gave him two free Happy Meals that had chicken nuggets AND free fries!