Newly-minted interim WBC lightweight champion Ryan Garcia has been longing to get the big-money fight against WBA champion Gervonta Davis and it looks like he finally got his wish. The 22-year-old rising star was discussing his victory over Luke Campbell for an episode of Mike Tyson’s “HotBoxin” podcast on Wednesday and mentioned that he wanted Davis next. This comes after he called him out after his win on Saturday.
“I don’t have time for celebrations,” Garcia said. “I’m on one mission. I’m on a mission to knock out Gervonta Davis in two rounds. This man will go down. Two rounds—that’s a promise!!”
Davis FaceTimed in to the show and the call turned into a heated exchange in which Garcia claims that he will knock his future opponent out in two rounds.
“Two rounds, baby, two rounds,” Garcia told Davis. “Two rounds. You’re going to sleep. It’s not gonna hurt. I promise you it’s not gonna hurt. … You’re gonna need a ladder to hit me. How tall are you? You’re 5-foot-5. You’re gonna need a ladder to hit me. You’re gonna need a StairMaster. Boy, you won’t be able to touch me. You ain’t never fought a 135er in your life. This is different. I don’t care what you say. You ain’t got nothing.”
In response, Davis was quick to fire back at his adversary and got on Garcia for taking a knockdown in the second round against Campbell, saying “he got dropped by somebody that can’t even hit. If I would have hit him, you know I would have killed him after that.”
LUKE CAMPBELL PUTS RYAN GARCIA ON THE CANVAS IN ROUND 2 💥 pic.twitter.com/hCQaPiVHjY
— DAZN Boxing (@DAZNBoxing) January 2, 2021
Pressed by Tyson to make the fight happen, Davis repeatedly stated that they would be fighting next.
He can’t go back on his word now pic.twitter.com/s3LCZHIcSk
— Ryan Garcia (@KingRyanG) January 7, 2021
The verbal agreement sent Garcia into a dancing frenzy and he said that he was going to hold Davis to his word.
“He said it,” Garcia shouted. “The world knows. He said it. Next fight. There’s no going back now!”
After Saturday’s seventh-round knockout of Campbell, Garcia is 21-0 with 18 KOs in his career. The 2012 Olympic gold medalist is considered to be an up-and-coming personality within the boxing world, but his social media following may be stronger than his opponent record.
Davis, who is signed to Mayweather Promotions, is one of the more controversial boxers in the game and consistently gets into trouble by running his mouth. In every situation, however, he backs up the talk in the ring and holds a 24-0 record with 23 KOs. He is most recently coming off of a nasty one-punch knockout of Leo Santa Cruz.
On Monday, Davis posted a mock poster on social media that promotes the potential fight, so his comments later in the week are not particularly surprising. Garcia has been chasing a fight with the man they call “Tank,” for years and Davis seems tired of the talk.
It has been previously stated that the winner of Garcia vs. Campbell would become the mandatory opponent for WBC champion Devin Haney, and Javier Fortuna is the “second mandatory” for the title. Thus, whether Davis and Garcia will actually get into the ring next is yet to be seen, but Haney and Fortuna could square off while the other two handle their beef for the interim belt.
The full clip can be found here: