How A Professional Organization Should Go About Changing Its Name:
- Admit wrongdoing.
- Choose a dope name.
- Release a 2-3 minute hype video with the new branding featuring a song from the Interstellar soundtrack and a Les Brown “You Gotta Be Hungry” voiceover.
- Move on.
How Washington Has Gone About Changing Its Name:
- Admit wrongdoing…on a statement that features the offensive name you now claim to rail against SEVEN times.
- Chill for a bit.
- Get tied up in an organizational sexual harassment scandal for the heck of it.
- Make an announcement that your new team name is not actually your real team name but at least it’s a new name and since when did the bare minimum not mean a damn thing in this gosh darn country anymore?
- Never, under any circumstance, make the playoffs.
Ladies and gents, introducing the Washington Football Team (for now). Go players!
Effective immediately, Washington will call itself the “Washington Football Team”, pending adoption of a new name, sources tell ESPN.
This is not a final renaming and rebranding for team; this is the name it wants to use until pending adoption of a new name in the future. pic.twitter.com/sBs0Uo0ICm
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 23, 2020
Just waking back up from my pregame nap to see about The Washington Football team??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Is that real?? No way! Oh man they had a thorough intense long board meeting about that one huh. 🥴🤦🏾♂️
— LeBron James (@KingJames) July 23, 2020
Props to Football Team fans for still defending their squad against attacks from LeBron and others, as if they need to prove their loyalty to a franchise that hasn’t won a playoff game in 15 years.
how u goin change a whole team name in 60 days, think about shit before u type it
— W|L (@DwavY) July 23, 2020
No one asked you.
— Alex F. Merino (@AFMerino_) July 23, 2020
That’s ok, we’ll have a new name before you can get that bald spot fixed bruh 😤 pic.twitter.com/azV3gaATnI
— David Brown II (@APPS_DBS) July 23, 2020
We change a name because it’s considered a racial slur only to have the guy who makes billions off of Chinese children slaves make fun of it. This is 2020
— AA (@AaronAllenRE) July 23, 2020
Means a lot coming from a Cowboys fan pic.twitter.com/FxJfECrbpS
— Mike Caddy (@kadyshak22) July 23, 2020
LeBron when he saw what Washington changed their name to pic.twitter.com/SvarxYryoq
— Peter Griffin Burner (@PeterGriffinAcc) July 23, 2020
Uh it’s temporary… so let me get this straight? They finally drop the name and now you’re openly criticizing them for doing it ASAP and not waiting until they decided on a new name? Got it….
— Clefan330 (@CLEfan330) July 23, 2020
Lebron, why in the name of god would you be napping instead of in the weightroom?
— Coach Letterman (@3YearLetterman) July 23, 2020
Where were these opinions about China? pic.twitter.com/E30d9fZr2k
— The Resurrection 🧟♂️ (@BigTruzzEra) July 23, 2020
You kiddos are getting out of hand.