Mike Tyson is officially returning to the boxing ring this September.
On Thursday, the 54-year-old Mike Tyson that he was going to fight 51-year-old Roy Jones Jr. in an eight-round exhibition match Sept. 12 at 9 p.m. E.T. on PPV.
The fight will be a part of a three-hour event that will include musical performances that and is being called “Frontline Battle” which will air on the social media app Triller.
“Iron” Mike will take on Roy Jones Jr. on Sept. 12 in an 8-round exhibition being called Frontline Battle — available on Pay-per-view and on the social media platform, Triller.
We’re told the fight will take place in California — and will be sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission.
The event will include an undercard and live musical performances from top artists — and since Triller is backed by big stars like Snoop, Lil Wayne, Future, The Weeknd, Pitbull, Marshmello and more — the entertainment should be pretty solid!
FYI, Triller is a rapidly growing social media platform that’s gunning to take over the TikTok crowd — and while it’s previously focused on music (including partnerships with major labels) it’s now making a concentrated foray into live events including sports.
While talking to Max Kellerman on First Take to promote the fight, Tyson insisted that he wasn’t going to take it easy against Roy.
Mike Tyson says he's not going to take it easy against Roy Jones Jr. pic.twitter.com/b8h2paWEqz
— Viral Sports (@NotScTop10plays) July 23, 2020
“We’re both accomplished fighters. We know how to take care of ourselves … we’ll be alright. Trust me,” “I’m looking to be 100% of Mike Tyson in the ring … I’m a neophyte in taking it easy. I don’t know how to do it that way. I am one speed, forward. I don’t know, Roy is just going to have to deal with that.”
The exhibition fight is going to be a part of Tyson’s new league called the “Legends Only League” which is focused on aging athletes being able to compete against each other.