Rather Than Choke Down Another Dry Chicken Breast, Here Are 5 Ways To Make Your Choice Of Protein Taste Great
Every bro knows that protein is the key to swoledom. If you want to be the king of the swole bros, then you better make sure you are getting enough protein in.
When we think of the typical bodybuilder diet plan, rubbery chicken breasts come to mind with some broccoli. Now, if that is your idea of protein then I have a feeling you will be forcing it down your face.
So, instead of choking down those dry chicken breasts, let’s find some better ways to get our protein in.
Slow Cooker Meat
Every guy on earth should own a slow cooker. It is a life saver and it makes cooking a breeze. it can turn any guy from a culinary dud into Wolfgang Puck.
We will keep this recipe as simple as possible but just know this a very basic base that can be changed based on personal preference.
- 5lbs of meat of your choice fat trimmed
- 1 large jar of salsa
- Trim meat and keep whole (ie don’t slice or chunk it into cubes)
- Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray to make cleanup easy
- Put the meat in the slow cooker
- Dump salsa so that at least ⅗ of the meat is covered, preferably all of it and sprinkle cumin on
- Cook 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 on low
That is it enjoy the large amount of tasty meat that will fall apart and shred with a spoon. Add in any sort of carbohydrate that you desire. It tops rice, quinoa, pasta or even potatoes.
Another slow cooker recipe can be found here.
Grilled cilantro lime steak
Grilling is something that all bros should be able to do. It is not as hard as many think. But a nice buffer is to marinade a meat before hand. This will tenderize and add a lot of flavor and moisture. So if things get out of hand on the grill it will still turn out better than most.
- Eye of round steak (lean cut)
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 4 limes juiced (or ⅓-½ cup from a bottle)
- ¼ Red onion
- 2 Tbsp garlic
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend it up.
- Add the marinade to the meat (I use a ziplock bag) and let it sit for at least 8 hours and it can be done overnight
- Fire up the grill after marinating to a high heat. Let the grill warm for 5min
- Drop the steaks on and cook for 1-2 min (depending on thickness)
- Then flip and in 2 min drop heat to medium-low and cook for 5-10 min (depending on thickness)
- Take them off when they are at desired doneness and rest for 5 min
The longer the marinade sits the deeper the flavor goes. You can adjust the spice level to your own tolerance and palate.
You can find 3 more recipes for a food prepping weekend here. One of them is korean style burgers.
A different take on eggs. This also allows for them to be much more portable than their scrambled brethren. This is a highly modifiable recipe depending on your needs and preferences. Everything after the eggs/egg whites are optional.
- 12 eggs or 2 cups of egg whites or a mix of the two
- Diced onion (about ¼ of an onion)
- Chopped mushrooms
- Cheese (low fat or full fat depending on your needs)
- Muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grab a muffin tin with 12 cups or more and spray the cups with nonstick spray
- Mix up the eggs/egg whites in a measuring cup (or something with a lip to pour from)
- Chop up the desired veggies and place at the bottom of each cup
- If you are using cheese put this on the veggies if not omit this step
- Pour the egg mixture into the cups leave some room at the top for them to grow
- Cook for 20-25min until you can put a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean.
- Remove and let cool slightly then dig in
Again this can be modified by vegetables and cheese but you can also add in seasoning and spices. This can be a great way to relieve any monotony of consuming plain eggs.
Greek Yogurt PB&J Dessert
Greek yogurt is one protein packed dairy product. Unless you have a lot of carbohydrates to eat I suggest getting plain unflavored and using some Splenda and sugar-free jelly to add some sweetness to it. There are some options here that can vary depending on your macros. Fat can easily be added by using peanut butter or using a fattier greek yogurt. For a low fat, option use no fat greek yogurt and powdered peanut butter.
The combination of jelly and peanut butter/peanut flour makes this taste like a PB&J
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp sugar-free jelly
- Splenda to taste
- Optional (powdered peanut butter or peanut butter)
- Mix it all together
- EAT IT
Microwave protein cake
Nothing is easier than mixing up some protein powder and microwaving it into cakey goodness. This is a great way to hit your sweet treat tooth while keeping your calories and waistline tight and under control.
- 30g of protein powder ( about 1 scoop)
- ¼ cup almond milk (to greek yogurt consistency)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Grab a microwave friendly bowl or coffee mug and toss in the protein powder
- Measure the almond milk and mix as your pour it in. Shoot for greek yogurt consistency
- Microwave about 30 seconds (depends on the power of the microwave) until the cake has peaked over the bowl or mug.
- Then take it out and dump it out or just eat out of the bowl
You can add a topping like ice cream or caramel syrup or nuts. Have fun and go crazy
Now you have 5 awesome ways to add some protein into all of your meals day or night. No more excuses for boring bland protein.
Go forth and feast on delicious protein…..just not too much otherwise you will clear out everyone around you.