Unreal Footage Shows Russian Soccer Player Being Struck By Lightning As He Takes A Shot On Goal


The odds of any given person being struck by lightning in their lifetime is 1 in 15,300.

According to the NWS Storm Data mined by weather.gov, over the last 30 years the U.S. has averaged 43 reported lightning fatalities per year and only about 10% of people who are struck by lightning are killed, leaving 90% with disabilities ranging from severe burns to brain damage.

A 16-year-old Russian soccer player wearing a metal chain around his neck suffered serious injuries when lightning struck him on the pitch on July 4th.

The video below shows Znamya Truda goalkeeper Ivan Zakborovsky getting zapped by an electrostatic discharge in footage that does not look real. It is.

Via CNN:

Club general director Igor Mayorov said: “There was a clear sky, albeit overcast, but neither rain nor wind. If there was a thunderstorm, then we would not have been training.”

Zakborovsky was taken to hospital where doctors put him into an induced coma.

While he suffered severe burns, his club tweeted that his condition is stable and there is no “life-threat.”

“Everyone acted quickly, very professionally, the ambulance arrived in eight minutes,” added Mayorov. “Most likely he had a respiratory arrest, he received first aid, maybe because of this the child is alive.

Mayorov added that the boy’s “recovery dynamics are positive.”

His girlfriend Yelena told Podyem media: “He is in stable condition. He regained consciousness but due to a strong painful shock he had to be put back into a coma. His parents are at his bedside. He has a scar around his neck where the lightning hit his chain, and that his lung was damaged. He needs time to stabilize.”


Matt Keohan Avatar
Matt’s love of writing was born during a sixth grade assembly when it was announced that his essay titled “Why Drugs Are Bad” had taken first prize in D.A.R.E.’s grade-wide contest. The anti-drug people gave him a $50 savings bond for his brave contribution to crime-fighting, and upon the bond’s maturity 10 years later, he used it to buy his very first bag of marijuana.