What We Know About Cincinnati Nightclub Shooting That Left 14 Wounded And 1 Dead
Early Sunday morning, one person was killed and at least 14 more were injured when a shooting took place at a crowded nightclub in Cincinnati. Police said the shooting happened around 1:30 a.m. local time. The wounded were taken to five area hospitals; one person is in critical condition, three are serious and four are stable.
“It was a chaotic scene,” Sgt. Eric Franz said. “The club was completely packed.”
Several officers were working security at the club during the shooting, two of whom were at the front door of the club when the shots rang out. They attempted to revive one of the victims and performed first aid, but that person died.
The parking lots near the nightclub were completely full, which caused problems for first responders attempting to help.
At this time authorities are not sure who or what caused the shooting. No arrests have been made.
Assistant Chief Paul Neudigate tweeted that the “motive is still unclear, but there are no indication this incident is terrorism related.” He also said that they believe there is only one shooter after reports that there were two.
The shooting happened at the Cameo club on 4601 Kellogg Ave on the eastside of Cincinnati, an area which is mostly industrial but does have several nightclubs.
Cameo’s is said to have “grown and sexy night” on Saturdays for ages 21 and over.
“Saturday night, it is a very young crowd. We have had incidents here in the past, but this is by far the worst,” Capt. Kim Williams said.
In a Twitter post, Ohio Gov. John Kasich was “saddened” by the shooting.
The incident is the worst mass shooting (for total number of victims) so far in 2017 and the worst mass shooting in recent Cincinnati history. On August 21, 2015, two people were killed and five injured in a shooting in Madisonville.