Yesterday, we brought you the story of some movie fans having bemused reactions to hearing the prevalence of Ana de Armas’ Cuban accent while playing Marilyn Monroe in the upcoming NC-17-rated film Blonde.
The estate of Marilyn Monroe, however, has since come to the defense of the 33-year-old A-list actress, saying that de Armas is a “great casting choice.”
The Marilyn Monroe estate has defended Ana de Armas’ casting in the movie Blonde
“Marilyn Monroe is a singular Hollywood and pop culture icon that transcends generations and history. Any actor that steps into that role knows they have big shoes to fill. Based on the trailer alone, it looks like Ana was a great casting choice as she captures Marilyn’s glamour, humanity and vulnerability. We can’t wait to see the film in its entirety!” Marc Rosen, president of entertainment at Authentic Brands Group (ABG), which owns the Marilyn Monroe Estate, said in a statement to Variety.
To her credit, de Armas also says that she did work on mastering Monroe’s voice and even spent nine months with a voice coach trying to do so:
“It took me nine months of dialect coaching, and practicing and some ADR sessions [to get the accent right]. It was a big torture, so exhausting. My brain was fried,” de Armas said in an interview with The Times earlier this year.
In addition to de Armas, Blonde stars Adrien Brody (as Arthur Miller), Bobby Cannavale (as Joe DiMaggio), and Julianne Nicholson (as Gladys Pearl Baker, Monroe’s mother). The movie is helmed by filmmaker Andrew Dominik, who also directed The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Killing Them Softly.
Blonde hits Netflix on Friday, September 23.
Want more from BroBible? Follow us on Google News.