Want to look like a superhero this summer? You’re in luck.
For over 20 years, celebrity trainer and HALO Sport ambassador, Don Saladino, has coached actors, athletes, musicians, and titans of business. He’s responsible for sculpting some of Hollywood’s most coveted physiques.
From Ryan Reynolds and Liev Schreiber, to Hugh Jackman and David “Hellboy” Harbour, Saladino is the guy the stars turn to when they went to transform from Clark Kent into Superman.
Saladino sat down to give us a couple of the exercises he uses to turn celebrities into screen gods. Here are some of his favorite moves.
Do Farm Walks To Get Shoulders Like Hellboy
It took some work to make Hopper from “Stranger Things” look like the fantastic beast from hell.
Here’s one of the staples from David Harbour’s intense Hellboy workouts.
Saladino loves the farmer walk—one-arm and two-arm carries.
- You can use kettle bells, dumbbells, or a trap bar
- Carry the weight and walk 50 yards while keeping perfect posture
- Try not to favor a specific side and squeeze the weight as hard as you can
“It is probably the most underutilized tool,” he explains, “but it makes everything in the body work hard. It’s so specific to what we do every day yet, you hardly see people doing them.”
Do The Murph Challenge To Get Shredded Like Starlord (And Jack Ryan Too)
Two of Saladino’s clients – Chris Pratt and John Krasinki- spent Memorial Day doing the Murph.
The Murph Challenge is named after U.S. Navy SEAL LT. Michael Murphy. Murphy died on June 28, 2005, at the age of 29 in Kunar Province, Afghanistan while serving his country.
Before he died, Murphy designed an arduous workout:
- 1-mile Run
- 100 Pullups
- 200 Pushups
- 300 Squats
- 1-mile Run
Complete the entire routine in the least amount of time as possible.
Do Hang Leg Raises To Get A 6-Pack Like Deadpool
- Find a pull up bar and hang with a pronated (overhand) grip
- Raise your knees to your chest.
- Pause for a moment, then lower to the starting position
- Repeat the movement on the left side
Hanging oblique knee raises work to build the abs from the hanging position, improves grip strength and scapular stability, and targets the obliques [the side of your abs] instead of the rectus [the front of your abs].
“It’s simple to perform,” Saladino shares, “but it’ll work a ton of muscle groups and leave your core burning.”
Do Trap Bar Deadlifts From Legs As Strong As Shazam
- Squat down until you’re able to grab the trap bar handles
- Driving through the center of your feet, extend your hips and knees until you’re standing tall
- Pause at the top and reverse the movement back to starting position
Most Importantly, Remember To Stay Hydrated
Hydration is key. Saladino suggests not just chugging water during your workout, but to include a drink like HALO Sport before, during and after your done.
The trace minerals help keep the body running efficiently and it’s also a quick and easy way of getting vital electrolytes and antioxidants back into your system.
MORE HEALTH & FITNESS TIPS
- Make Your Triceps The Size Of Softballs With This Weighted Close Grip Pushup
- Here’s What It’s Like To Have A Lifting Sesh At Gold’s Gym With Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Add These ‘Superman Pushup’ Variations To Your Workout To Looked More Ripped Than The Man Of Steel