Former MLS Star Blew A Gnarly Hole In His Cheek After E-Cig Exploded In His Grill (PIC)

Bros, we have yet another case of an e-cigarette revolting against it’s owner.

Last month, we brought you the story of a 23-year-old dude whose e-cig exploded and burnt a hole completely through his pallet, requiring a breathing tube for him to breathe.

The latest incident involves a former Olympic soccer player and LA Galaxy star was rushed to the emergency room after an e-cigarette exploded in his face.

According to the Daily Mail, Danny Califf suffered a broken cheek, a concussion, and several second-degree burns across his face, ear, and neck as the defective e-cigarette malfunctioned just six months after he purchased it.


The 35-year-old is amongst three people suing the vaping companies for selling explosive products.

Califf’s lawyer, Greg Bentley, told ABC News:

“Nobody expects that you purchase a product that explodes in our face. It’s unconscionable that these products are out there and they’re randomly exploding all across the country.”

As the Daily Mail notes, earlier this year Mr. Bentley won $1.885 million for Jennifer Ries who was on her way to an airport when the e-cigarette she was charging in her car exploded.

Says Bentley,

“This industry is unregulated and remains ripe for disaster. Sadly, the industry’s carelessness struck Jennifer and changed her life forever.”

Bentley believes that it is preposterous that e-cigarettes are ignored by the FDA and are federally unregulated. Further, he adds that 90 percent of e-cigarettes are made in China, which means if the store where they’re bought doesn’t have liability insurance, a lawsuit will be worthless.

This is why you stick to Meth bros. Meth has never hurt nobody. Don’t fact check me on that, though.

[h/t Daily Mail]

WATCH: Dude Swims Right Up Next To A Whale Shark And It Does The Shark Equivalent Of ‘COME AT ME, BRO!’

Matt Keohan Avatar
Matt’s love of writing was born during a sixth grade assembly when it was announced that his essay titled “Why Drugs Are Bad” had taken first prize in D.A.R.E.’s grade-wide contest. The anti-drug people gave him a $50 savings bond for his brave contribution to crime-fighting, and upon the bond’s maturity 10 years later, he used it to buy his very first bag of marijuana.