- The New York Mets have cut 39-year-old Robinson Cano.
- The decision will cost the team $40 million.
- Mets’ owner Steve Cohen has sent an invoice to the former GM responsible for the deal.
New York Mets owner Steve Cohen has proved, once again, that his beloved baseball team ain’t your father’s Mets, as the billionaire venture capitalist decided to eat $40 million in salary in order to get 39-year-old deadweight second baseman Robinson Cano off the roster.
Cano, who missed the entire 2021 season due to a steroid suspension, has failed to make an impact so far this season with a batting average of .200 and just one home run. With the deadline to reduce rosters to 26 players coming and going on Monday, the Mets decided to cut Cano despite the fact that they still owe him about $44 million.
In response to the move, Cano’s agent Brodie Van Wagenen — who was the Mets’ general manager at the time they traded for him (Hmmmmm, that seems odd, doesn’t it?) — told the New York Post that his client “absolutely still wants to play.”
“Robbie absolutely still wants to play. Given the right situation, he can still make a meaningful contribution for a team,” Van Wagenen said. “Robbie is a true professional with a great deal of respect for the organization. He understands they had a tough decision to make. He wishes them well going forward.”
Baseball fans react to Steve Cohen eating $40 million to cut Robinson Cano
The decision to cut Cano has been a wildly popular one in the baseball world as it’s proven that Cohen is placing winning about financials:
they really did it
(not surprised, though — why would Steve Cohen suddenly be concerned about a $$$ decision now when things are going well and the team has better options? easy baseball move) https://t.co/1XpDd45IIg
— Céspedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) May 2, 2022
Steve Cohen gets it, love that guy. That’s an owner who wants nothing but to pile up as many Ws as possible. Hope the Mets win it all https://t.co/6UclDtYsGy
— whitesoxdave (@barstoolWSD) May 2, 2022
All the owners can afford to eat $40 million in sunk cost, but Steve Cohen can, like, really afford it.
— Andy McCullough (@ByMcCullough) May 2, 2022
BREAKING: God exists and his name is Steve Cohen https://t.co/X3ccQWGCZx
— Clem (@TheClemReport) May 2, 2022
Imagine thinking Steve Cohen cares about Cano’s $40 million when he paid $141 million for this: pic.twitter.com/dIjD2vlTaC
— Mets Raccoon (@mets_coon) May 2, 2022
Steve Cohen just ate one of the worst contracts in the league so the Mets could win. So long Robbie. pic.twitter.com/TbZ4lGXUHA
— Shirtless Max Scherzer (@notpetealonso) May 2, 2022
This is a Steve Cohen move- most owners don’t have the balls to cut DFA a player making 20+ mill https://t.co/eNUtF5hhhc
— Mets Maniacs Podcast (@MetsManiacsPod) May 2, 2022
This is a prime example of “we do not care how much you are paid, if you are not one of the best 26 players on this team, you’re not going to be on the team”. The Steve Cohen Mets do not care about money. https://t.co/E29EboWI4c
— Michael Marino (@MichaelMarino37) May 2, 2022
Steve Cohen cuts Cano and his 40 million without batting an eyelash
Hal Steinbrenner has Ellsbury make up injuries for 3 years so he can collect insurance money, but it still counts against the fake cap
Mets fans should be thankful they have the New George. Honestly jealous
— @realBoShek (@realboshek) May 2, 2022
Steve Cohen cares about nothing less than money and nothing more than winning
— Alyssa Rose (@AlyssaRose) May 2, 2022
The Mets make a baseball move without worrying about the money they owe the player.
Huge difference between Steve Cohen and the Wilpons.
— Michael Mayer (@mikemayer22) May 2, 2022
The first-place New York Mets will look to continue their hot start to the 2022 season when they host the defending champion Atlanta Braves in Queens over the next few days.