Affidavit Says Nearby Resident Found Tiger Woods Unconscious In His SUV Following Crash

tiger woods unconscious car crash

Getty Image

A new court document has revealed that a nearby resident was the first to arrive on the scene of Tiger Woods’ single-car crash, not a sheriff’s deputy. Los Angeles County sheriff’s Deputy Johann Scholegl wrote in the affidavit that the resident heard the crash, walked to the SUV, and found Woods unconscious inside the vehicle.

Carlos Gonzalez was the first officer to arrive on the scene and has said that Woods was conscious and able to answer questions at the time of his arrival. Woods was reportedly asked how the collision occurred and the 15-time major winner explained that he didn’t know and that he didn’t remember driving that morning.

“The deputies asked him how the collision occurred” at the scene of the crash, according to the affidavit. “Driver said he did not know and did not even remember driving…  Driver was treated for his injuries at the hospital and was asked there again how the collision occurred. He repeated that he did not know and did not remember driving.”

Three forensic scientists spoke with USA Today and concluded that Woods was not paying attention to the road before his accident. One of the forensic scientists suggested that Woods may have fallen asleep at the wheel prior to the crash.

The LA County Sheriff’s Department has decided not to seek a warrant to obtain Tiger Woods’ blood to help determine if he was under the influence of anything at the time of the accident. The Sheriff’s Department has executed a search warrant for the black box from inside Woods’ car which could help explain how and why the accident occurred.

Woods suffered comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia during surgery. He suffered additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle were stabilized with a combination of pins and screws.