A Giant Asteroid Is Getting Ready To Skim By Earth Closer Than The Moon At 18,000 MPH
I say, don’t panic because NASA is all over this Near-Earth Object (NEO) named Asteroid 2011 ES4. And despite it being classified as a “Potentially Hazardous” asteroid, I’m sure if it gets too close we’ll be able to take care of it before it can do any real damage.
Oh, wait, we are totally unprepared for that type of situation with an asteroid? You don’t say.
NASA’s Center for Near Earth Object Studies (CNEOS) currently says Asteroid 2011 ES4 will pass by at around 0.00048 astronomical units or 44,618 miles away from our planet.
By comparison, the moon is located 238,900 miles away from Earth.
Here are the orbital paths that Asteroid 2011 ES4 and Earth will be taking all the way up to Sept. 1.
Should Asteroid 2011 ES4 change its trajectory between now and then, which has been known to happen due to something called the Yarkovsky effect, and actually collide with Earth it would cause similar damage as the explosion of an asteroid over Chelyabinsk, Russia which shattered windows in the area and caused injuries to more than 1,000 people.
That being said, NASA believes there is only a one in 300,000 chance per year of an asteroid capable of causing regional damage striking Earth.
Previous asteroid news…
• Three major asteroids deemed ‘near Earth objects’ will be zooming by Earth over the next few days
• NASA is tracking a ‘potentially hazardous asteroid’ as big as a skyscraper flying by Earth
• PSA: A ‘potentially dangerous’ asteroid almost a mile wide is on ‘close approach’ with Earth
• Heads up, there is an 1,100 foot wide asteroid heading our way and it’s going to get very, very close
• Did you feel that? 4 asteroids just buzzed Earth, one only a third of the distance from here to the moon
• Researchers now believe massive interstellar object discovered in 2017 was ‘ripped’ from an alien planet
• Alien expert believes he’s uncovered a extraterrestrial base on an asteroid in NASA image
• NASA is tracking a monstrous asteroid on Earth approach with the potential to wipe us all out
• Head for the bunker, NASA is tracking a giant asteroid on earth ‘approach’
• Heads up, a pack of asteroids is hurtling towards Earth at speeds of up to 27,500 MPH this weekend
• Russia plans to build a base on the moon to track asteroids on a collision course with the Earth
• Space agency expert predicts ‘serious impact’ from an apocalyptic asteroid: we ‘need to do something about it’
• Apocalyptic will hit in the next decade and space agencies are covering it up, says biblical scholar
• NASA reveals 10 dates when Apophis, the ‘Colossal God of Chaos’ asteroid, could smash into Earth
• NASA says city-killer asteroid the size of The Great Pyramid of Giza will have a chance of smashing into Earth in 2022
• A potentially hazardous’ 3,000-foot long asteroid is flying by Earth: here’s how to watch it
• NASA has spotted a giant Apollo asteroid, the most dangerous class of space rock, on a concerning Earth-orbit
• New asteroid detected, named the fourth most dangerous to hitting Earth according to the European Space Agency
• Space agencies are going to crash a spacecraft into an asteroid at over 14,000 mph to see what happens
• Experts warn ‘100 percent’ chance of asteroid colliding with Earth and action needed to prevent mass extinction